Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Macros Security Settings

• Please log in to reply

KimberlySS

KimberlySS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm experiencing a problem when I open Microsoft Word 2007. Today is the first time it has ever happened, and I use Word on a daily basis for school. I attempted to open a document sent to me by another student and a message popped-up. It says: "The function you are attempting to run contains macros or content that requires macro language support. When this sofware was installed, you (or your administrator) chose not to install support for macros or controls." It goes on to describe the steps to change the security settings for macors. Do I really want to change these security settings? Can there be something malicious in the document that would harm my computer if I do change the security settings? Please, Help!! I have to do my homework........

Advertisements

Glaswegian

Glaswegian

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 14 posts
Hi

There was a spate of viruses being sent via MS Documents some years ago and this is MS way of protecting the user.

If you are happy with the file then you can accept it and adjust your Security Settings as follows:

Click the Office symbol (Top left corner) > Word Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings. I would choose the third option 'Disable all macros except digitally signed macros' - that way you are better protected from malicious files. If you are unlikely to use macros in Word at all then you could simply disable all macros. Files will still open but no code will run.