Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts for 3 seconds, then shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

ongre

ongre

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello everybody, I'm in need of help !

I shut off my computer last night, all was normal. But this morning when I turned it on, it stayed on until the windows loading screen and shut off. One second after, it started by itself and shutdown 3 seconds later, could just see the bios message. And it keept doing that. Now I can't even see the bios message when I shut it on, it shutdowns really fast, the fans have just some time to spin before the whole computer shutingdown.

I think it's the PSU, or could it be something else ? The computer with all wires ( peripherical) unplugged and with only the PSU connected to power it on does the same.

The PC is fairly new only 10 months old. No recent hardware changes, I bought a new 3D LCD screen yesterday with the 3D vision glasses and this happens now ... I have really bad luck.

If anyone can help me. I'm one click away from buying a new PSU but I'm not sure if it is really my PSU.

PS : My PSU is a FORTRON 500W Bronze 80 certified.
460 GTX 1 GB
ASUS P7P55D
4 GB RAM
I7 860

Edited by ongre, 10 September 2011 - 04:39 PM.

Advertisements

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm far from an expert on this, but I think you're right with it being the PSU. Some motherboards do allow for the setting for the computer to start up again when there's a power failure automatically and that's what is sounds like it's doing (PSU messing up, then computer trying to restart again, only to have the PSU mess up again). But . . . again I'm far from an expert!

Only thing else I could figure is that it's overheating, but I don't believe the computer would act like that (restarting and so forth) if it were overheating. Plus usually there's other signs with overheating.

Edited by HisServant77, 10 September 2011 - 07:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi ongre, sorry to hear you are having this issue.
As the computer is only 10 months old you should return it for repair to prevent voiding the warranty.
Some Fortron PSUs are of good quality but unfortunately some are not so your assessment may be correct and the cause may be with the Power Good Signal from the PSU to the MB http://www.pcguide.c...owerGood-c.html
For future reference PSUs you can trust and PSUs to avoid http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php
Good luck and let us know how you get on or if we can assist you in any way.

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I've chosen an OCZ ZS Series 750 W (OCZ-ZS750W-EU) after reading many reviews. What you do guys think ?

I would like to take this opportunity to buy for the first time a sound card ( ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 - PCI ), but I use both headphones and speakers. The headphones are connected to the front panel and I don't know if the front panel will benefit from the new sound quality of the soundcard. ( The front panel is connected to the motherboard with a HD Audio pin ? )

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I've chosen an OCZ ZS Series 750 W (OCZ-ZS750W-EU) after reading many reviews. What you do guys think ?

I must emphasise that unless you have damaged the PSU then you are not liable for a replacement part as it is covered by a statutory warranty, if you replace the PSU then the whole warranty will be null and void, get the supplier to check the PSU and ask them if they can fit the PSU of your choice without voiding the warranty, this should also reduce the cost of the improved replacement PSU.
As far as I am aware your headphones and speakers must be connected to the same device to receive a signal and this is because add on cards disable the onboard utility automatically unless the option is disabled in the BIOS, further research will help to establish how the Xonar works exactly.

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well a friend bought my PSU in an online retailer and only him can start the process for the warranty. He's on vacation at the moment. My computer was built by my friend and each component has it's own warranty, I bought my computer piece by piece. So dunno if I'll really use the warranty of the PSU since I don't want to hear anymore about Fortron. But thanks for reminding me.

So if I understood well, I'll have to disconnect my speakers and connect my headphones over and over ?
These are the specs of the sound card :

I/O Ports
Analog Input Jack:
3.50mm mini jack *1 (Line-In/Mic-In)
Other line-level analog input (for CD-IN/TV Tuner):
Aux-In (4-pin header on the card)
Digital S/PDIF Output:
High-bandwidth Optical Connector supports 192KHz/24bit (shared with Back surround output jack)
Front-Panel Header:
Intel HDA front-panel compatible and supports HP jack-detection and automatically switch audio output from back-panel to front

S/PDIF Header:
Additional SPDIF-out header for connecting graphics card with HDMI audio output

Guess it detects the front panel ?

I have another question, where the fan of the PSU must be orientated ? I have this case :

http://www.nzxt.com/...ry/IMG_5035.jpg ( here where is the fan ? )

Mine currently is not like on the image, mine is like this orientated like this : http://www.diy-gamin...u-installed.jpg

What's the good position ?

Edited by ongre, 11 September 2011 - 08:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The PC is fairly new only 10 months old.

This led me to believe that the PC was supplied by a retailer, sorry I should have asked :)
This does make a difference as the the Fortron PSU can and should be returned under warranty if it is faulty.
The sound card I will research and come back to you on shortly.

I have another question, where the fan of the PSU must be orientated

The fan/s are enclosed inside the actual PSU itself and the vents are directed into the case and to the rear of the case, intake/internal and exhaust/external at the rear to aid cooling.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi ongre
I don`t normally double post but I wanted to make sure that you got an update on your sound-card quickly.
When you fit the ASUS sound-card you must disconnect the front panel header from your MB and attach it to your add on sound-card, you can see this clearly in this image http://images.bit-te...-xonar-ds1b.jpg
I hope this answers your questions but let us know if not or if we can assist you in any way and as always let us know how things work out :)

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Can't remove the PCIe 6 pin off my graphic card, any tips ? I don't want to force it.

Sorry for asking so many questions. It's my first time I'm messing with a computer !

Waiting your answer for the sound card.

EDIT : Oh you posted before me ! Ok sounds good, that perfectly answers my question :)

Edited by ongre, 11 September 2011 - 09:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks so my PSU is correctly oriented !

Without seeing the rear of your case I cannot say whether the case will need adjustment for the PSUs on/off switch, this is not a hard task, the problem only occurs with bottom mounted PSUs.
Taking your time and gentle persuasion is the best method for removing tricky connections (wiggle it slightly whilst easing it backwards).

Advertisements

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I sent you a foto of my case : http://www.nzxt.com/...y/IMG_5035.jpg.
Here's another one : http://www.focuscomp.../Lexa S/006.jpg
My psu is bottom mounted indeed. My psu has the fan up, in the foto I don't even know where the fan is. But as you can see on the second foto there's a possibilty for bottom airflow and the position of my actual PSU doesn't use it. So that's why I thought my PSU is wrongly oriented.

Thanks I'll continue trying gently :)

Edited by ongre, 11 September 2011 - 10:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
The first link doesn`t work but the picture at the second link shows a blank where the PSU goes so your new PSU should fit with the fan directed upwards and so no case adjustments will be required which is good news.
Yep take as long as it needs to avoid any damage.

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for your support. Greatly appreciated.

I'll come by if I have another question !

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome and yes let us know if we can help :)

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok guys ! I installed my new PowerSupply, all started good I'm using the computer right now. But ... yesterday the PC shut off without prompting like with the old PSU, and then shut off again just before Windows finished loading, like the old PSU !! Then this morning I turn it on and I have a message from the bios saying overclocking failed ... I never o/c my computer. I enter the bios check that all is alright and here I am on Windows.

I really need help now I don't know what could it be ... the motherboard ? RAM ? GPU ?

Edited by ongre, 17 September 2011 - 05:52 AM.