Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts for 3 seconds, then shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :)

I have a message from the bios saying overclocking failed ... I never o/c my computer. I enter the bios check that all is alright and here I am on Windows

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MB back to the factory default settings, upon first boot you need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save the new settings (F10) and exit then Y to accept the changes.
Let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks phillpower for your support again !

Here's my Speedfan screenshot :

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Thanks phillpower for your support again !

Here's my Speedfan screenshot :

Posted Image

You are welcome and thanks for the screenshot which by the way shows temps and voltages to be ok.
Try clearing the CMOS as suggested and if the issue occurs again run Speedfan as soon as you are
able to so that we can verify the first readings.

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok thanks I'll keep you updated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Ok I will look out for an update :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Enter the bios and click on Load Default Bios Settings on the first window.
Check your Time and Date to make sure they are correct.
Then Save and Exit.
System will reboot and if you still get the message you may have a failing CMOS battery.

ongre

ongre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok little update : now my computer is in the same situation than before, it runs for little to no time and shutdowns. The only way to boot until windows, I have to let the computer shutoff with the PSU button off ( or on ? i forgot ) for some time.

One thing : my motherboard never , NEVER, beeps now. Even when I boot 'til windows.

I guess my older PSU is not broken since this happens with the new one.

Loading the default bios settings hasn't solved the problem.

Edited by ongre, 17 September 2011 - 11:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be motherboard or hard drive then.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions