Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC won't power up

• Please log in to reply

mike9999

mike9999

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have a Dell XPS 400 about 6 years old. When I push the power button, it flashes yellow one time and nothing happens. There is an LED on the main board that is on, and the LEDs at the modem connection are working.

Can you please help? Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi mike9999

When I push the power button, it flashes yellow one time and nothing happens

Suggests a bad PSU (most likely) or power connection or a bad MB (less likely).

There is an LED on the main board that is on, and the LEDs at the modem connection are working.

This only indicates that the PSU is partially working, a PSU puts out various volts +3.3V, +5V and +12V if one of these is bad the computer will not work.
Your computer has 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front panel what colours are they displaying (if any) if nothing the PSU is the the prime suspect as the cause so if you have or can borrow a known good PSU of the same power output or greater swap that for the present PSU if only for testing purposes, if you need assistance with this let us know.

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi, phillpower2

Thanks for the quick response.

The front diagnostic LED lights are not coming on. I'll try swapping the power supply.

Thanks again,

Mike

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are welcome :)
The PSU does seem likely then due to there being no error LEDs illuminated.
Good luck and let us know how you get on or require assistance.

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
BINGO!

It was the PSU.

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Congratulations mike9999 on a successful resolution of your computer issue.
Thank you for choosing GTG, for allowing me to assist and most importantly for posting the solution so that it may help others in the future :) :unsure: