Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgraded to Wireless Network, Now Internet Speed is Slow

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I recently purchased a D-Link wireless router and two wireless network adapters so I could upgrade from a wired network to a wireless network for the two desktop computers I have at home.
I have enjoyed 24 Mbps speeds on both computers while they were connected to a wired network. After setting up the wireless network, I have one computer that still tests at 24 Mbps, but the other is only getting 9-10 Mbps. It has been that way for two days now.
My setup is as follows:

2 desktop computers:
Pentium 4 CPU 3.06Ghz 2GB RAM, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Pentium D CPU 3.00Ghz 2.98GB RAM, Windowx XP Professional Service Pack 2

Broadband Internet service through Comcast with an Arris cable modem.

D-Link DKT-408 Wireless N Router
2 D-Link Wireless N USB Adapter

Not sure what other information is needed, but please let me know if I can provide more.

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Is the Pentium D XP SP2 computer the slower one?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Is the Pentium D XP SP2 computer the slower one?

No, it is the Pentium 4.

I have tried a number of things to help improve the speed. Changed the wireless channel several times. Default channel was six. Have tried 1, 9, and now 11. No improvement. I have also moved the router away from an outer wall. There are no portable phones, microwaves, etc., nearby.