Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restoring my dying Inspiron 1750

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Killer

Laptop Killer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi,

i've recently found out my hd is dead/dying and have ordered another one. i am led to believe i will now need disks to restore windows vista home premium to the laptop. my question is how do i get hold of the discs please??
any other info on what i need to do to get my laptop back to normal would be appreciated as my plan is basically look on youtube to find how to replace the hd when it arrives then try find vista discs somewhere.

thanks

shaun

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,004 posts
Hi Laptop Killer
You would be better to get a system restore disk/s direct from Dell, it will be less expensive than purchasing a Vista disk and will contain all the drivers that you need for the laptop whereas a Vista disk will not, Dell UK contact details below;
Telephone No 0844-444-3225 or use other contact options below;
http://www1.euro.del...s_tnt=41777:1:0,
We see this quite a lot on the forums and recovery disk/s are reportedly between $30-$50 in the US so expect to pay at least £25-35 here in the UK, hope this does help and sorry for the mix up :)

EDIT: Correct contact information provided.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 September 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Laptop Killer

Laptop Killer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry if this sounds stupid, i'm a amateur with these things!
its a dell laptop, do i still get the disks from hp? if so any ideas how much and why dont tthe gits give u the disks with the laptop!

cheers for quick reply

shaun

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,004 posts
No it`s not you It is me who got it wrong I got the wrong brand, I will edit that post so I don`t look like a clown :)
I will put the correct contact details there for you also, the reason they don`t provide disks is to keep their costs down, we as the customer have to make back up/system restore disks as soon as we get the PC, if we don`t the suppliers arn`t liable as it is what they advise you to do upon receipt of the computer.

Laptop Killer

Laptop Killer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
great, thanks for ur help mate!

cheers,

shaun

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,004 posts
You are welcome Shaun
Can you let us know how you get on with Dell and what they charge for the system restore disks as it may help other members in the future :)