Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash & Video Distortion With A Twist

• Please log in to reply

akalesh

akalesh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Posted Image

COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS
---
AMD Phenom II X3 700e
MSI GF615M-P31
Crucial ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333
1 x WD Green 1TB
2 x WD Green 1.5TB
400W PSU
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit
Latest nVidia GeForce & nForce Drivers from nVidia.com
BIOS Version 2.9 Downloaded from Live Update 5
---

My problem is that after computer resumes from stand by, it will operate normally for 30-90 minutes and then it will freeze, and after freeze the video display will distort. Only view-able is a background with pixels on it.

Computer is fine after reboot. If I do not stand by, computer runs stable for maybe 6-12hrs max and then same problem.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND! MSI has replaced this motherboard under warranty. But, this new motherboard is having SAME problem as old motherboard

**UPDATE**
I have ran memtest for over 50+ hours and it has not found problem with RAM

I have also installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit to test thinking maybe it is driver issue. But, with Windows 7 & Windows 2008 I have same problem. Now, while using computer & internet, there are glitches on the screen.

Edited by akalesh, 12 September 2011 - 12:13 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You do not specify what video card you have and from what i saw of your board you only have the option of an add-on video card (pci-e16) (no integrated video).

I have seen this kind of display before from card that either were burned or are overheating and from card that do not get enough power from the Power suplly, verify the heat of your card and what is the minimum power supply requirements for you card.

Hope that helps

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
@ Alzeimer MB does have an integrated GFX chip, see attached link;
http://www.newegg.co...AMD Motherboard
I concur with the analysis of Alzeimer that both heat and/or a flaky PSU could be the cause, what is the brand and model of your PSU and are you using the integrated video chip or an add on card, if so also provide those details as requested by Alzeimer.
Some PSU guidance http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php