Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive failure imminent message on start up

• Please log in to reply

ell

ell

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I am using compaq prasario laptop with windows 7 the warranty has just run out!!

I get the above message on startup. The self test diagnostic tool offerred just says failed. Using speedfan it says reallocated sector count has reached its limit (140/140) and tells me to replace the hard drive! Is this really needed. I have recovery discs I had created using but will these work on a new hard drive or would I need to buy a new copy of windows?

Thanks
Ell

Edited by ell, 12 September 2011 - 04:35 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for your reply

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500BEKT-60V5T1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WXH1A30U9434
Firmware Number: 12.01A12
Capacity: 250.06 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 04 (Unknown failed test element), Failure Checkpoint = 96 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 12:05:49, September 12, 2011

Does the extended test let me burn the image?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Extended is only more tests but may show more information to what the exact problem is.
Not sure what image you are wanting to burn though.
The important issue is if there is data you need to save we need to do that as soon as the extended test is completed.
Data is your word and office documents, music, videos and movies.
Programs can not be copied over but have to be reinstalled.
If your recovery disks were made when the system was brand new they will contain your OS and all original programs that were loaded on the system then along with all original drivers.
Seeing the system just went out of warranty it my be worth a call to Compaq\HP and see about purchasing a set of original recovery disk for little or no cost.
Usually the cost is less then 40USD.

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The only thing wrong seems to be in the quick test:

Re-allocated sector count 137 threshold 140 worst 137

It passed the extended test.

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500BEKT-60V5T1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WXH1A30U9434
Firmware Number: 12.01A12
Capacity: 250.06 GB
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 13:21:20, September 12, 2011

I have backed up everything need off the drive.

Edited by ell, 12 September 2011 - 06:28 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This indicates failure is imminent regardless of the other results.
Will the system boot into windows so you can backup your data?
If not you can use a Linux Live cd to access the data outside of windows.

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes it boots and everything works fine. Could malware cause this to happen

Here is some more info from the speed fan check if it helps

Error: Reallocated Sector Count has reached its threshold. Current value is 138 and threshold is 140.
According to S.M.A.R.T. specifications, your hard disk is failing and needs to be immediately replaced. Backup your data as soon as possible.

Warning: Reallocated Sector Count reached, in the past, its threshold. Worst value is 138 and threshold is 140.
Since your hard disk is not in the current database, overall ratings and pictures will be based upon realistic values, but you should carefully check the results.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 200 0 Good
Spin Up Time 177 2116 Good
Start/Stop Count 99 1920 Very good
Reallocated Sector Count 138 496 Watch
Warning: Reallocated Sector Count is below the average limits (178-253).
Seek Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Power On Hours Count 98 1667 Very good
Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Calibration Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Power Cycle Count 99 1873 Very good
End To End Error Count 100 0 Very good
Reported Uncorrectable Errors 100 3 Very good
Command Time Out 98 227 247 266 Very good
GSense Error Rate 1 149 Watch
Warning: GSense Error Rate is below the average limits (33-100).
Power Off Retract Count 200 36 Very good
Load Cycle Count 191 27133 Good
Reallocated Event Count 138 62 Good
Current Pending Sector 200 3 Very good
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 1 Very good
Write Error Rate 100 0 Very good

Edited by ell, 12 September 2011 - 07:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Malware cannot cause a drive to go bad because ti can't physically damage a drive. It can damage programs, settings and data but not physically damage a drive.
If you feel you may be infected then it may be worth a trip to the Malware forum to have one of the Malware techs take a look at your system. Before doing that I would suggest again you backup your important data in case the drive fails during the malware work. I am including the malware instructions below in case you want to pursue that direction but I highly advise you to replace the drive and do a fresh install of your OS.
Also if you did the recovery disks and your system was infected you will most likely transfer that infection over to the new installation.
If you are running a non legal copy of the OS you could have issues related to that also.

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks so much for all your input. If I replace the hard drive I understand from other posts elsewhwere that recovery discs dont work on the new drive and would need to be done by HP. I would essentially need to buy a new copy of windows to instal an OS. I dont suppose reformatting and a fresh install would fix the problem either?

Thanks again for all your help
Ell

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reformatting and a fresh install may correct the problem temporarily but if the hard drive is indeed in failure then the issue will reappear.
If you have recovery disks then installing on a new drive should not be a problem.
Preferably the same size drive but even that is not a big issue.