Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer loses network after uninstalling Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Max321

Max321

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hello!

I’m having a quite weird issue (well, it does seem weird to me, considering everything looks so unrelated).

Yesterday, I decided that I would uninstall BitDefender 2010 from my computer, willing to change for a new antivirus.

Following the uninstall, it prompted me to restart the computer, which I did.

Upon startup, I had no more internet connection. I checked for the Wi-Fi signal with my Ipod Touch and cellphone and everything was working well. Still, the laptop wouldn’t catch any network.

I therefore went to the Device manager to see that all of the devices under the “network” tab had a yellow exclamation mark upon them.
These are the devices:

Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet
Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN #2
Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #4
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)

I started an epic quest to find out what the [bleep] happened there. After going around for a while, I finally found a way to get the wireless signal back on the laptop. It implied the following steps:

Uninstalling the following devices through device manager
Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet
Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN #2

Re-installing the above drivers, making them reappear, but above all, the little yellow exclamation mark disappeared.

I then went in the “Connect to a network” screen and clicked on “Diagnose why Windows cannot find any additional network”.

It offered me to make sure that 2 Internet Protocol version […] had a check beside them. They already had. But I also saw that there was something related to Kaspersky (NDIS 6 filter), which I used a long time ago, in there, so I uninstalled it.

Following a few more steps, the computer finally offered me to repair the network connection or something along those lines. I was then able to connect to a network.
Everything worked fine from this point on until I rebooted the computer. Upon start, it would bring the system repair screen because the computer is unable to start the OS. From there, the only way to get back in is by accepting when they ask me to “restore the system to a previous state where it worked”.

But as you may guess, doing so brings me back to a state where all the network devices have the yellow exclamation mark beside them, making me unable to connect to the network (and also, that Kaspersky NDIS 6 filter reappears).

I went through many reboots and was able to reproduce the above steps to have a temporary access to the internet. I tried different things here and there on my own, but without result.

And now, I really need your help ^^’

Thank you!

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Let's see if flushing the DNS cache and restoring MS's Host file helps.

Copy and paste these lines in Note pad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Right click on the flush.bat file to run it as Administrator. Your computer will reboot itself.

Let us know if you still get the same message.

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hello!

I tried what you suggested there, and it was without result. Upon restart, it still brought me to the system repair screen, and offered be to restore the system. Still, it didn't work. I had to restart the computer a few times, using safe mode (I'm currently in Safe mode w/ network compatibility) until it finally was able to restore.

Then, I proceeded through the same steps as mentioned in the first post to unable again the network.

Anything else I could try?

Thank you!

Max321

Max321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hello!

What a surprise this morning was it when I booted my computer to see that not only did it start without problem, but also that I had a network connection right away! Maybe it needed one more restart or something. In any case, things start looking a loooot better now.

The only thing I may point out is that in the device Manager, "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #4" still has an exclamation mark beside it. Should I uninstall it and reinstall it?

Thank you for your precious Help! I have a feeling we're on the right track ! =)

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Apparently you can safely ignore the yellow exclamation mark http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520