Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restarting XP on a Dell

• Please log in to reply

renjac

renjac

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a dell computer Optiplex GX 280 with the original version of XP Professional. The systm is saying it is not genuine even though I have the orginal certificate and product key.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I'm not sure why it is happening but you can safely remove WGAN which is giving you the notifications.

http://support.micro....com/kb/921914/

Rename the following files by changing the extension to .old:

* Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.dll to %Windir%\system32\WgaLogon.old
* Rename %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.exe to %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old

# Restart the computer.
# Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
# At the command prompt, delete the following files by typing the Del command. Press ENTER after you type each command.

* Del %Windir%\system32\wgalogon.old
* Del %Windir%\system32\WgaTray.old

# At the command prompt, type regedit.
# Locate and then right-click the following registry subkeys. Click Delete after you locate each subkey.

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WgaNotify

Then...

Copy and paste the following into a notepad document.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Hide windows geniune advantage notifications from windows update

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage]
"InstallID"="{30F230D0-7940-499e-8A01-748682288985}"

Save it with a .reg extension and merge it into the registry.

Edited by skifxr, 12 September 2011 - 08:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You may also find this useful
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247

have you received any notification with the failed validation message.

renjac

renjac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. I will try it, but, how will I get my windows updates?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the system the same XP as was originally installed on the Dell - albeit updated until NOW or is it a reinstall.
I appreciate that you say you have the original COA and product key, but is it still on the same computer.
What message appeared that prompted the validation.
Did it arise when updating, or when attempting to install other Microsoft software.
For instance MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials requires a validation check.
Validation requires Active X Controls.
Validate using IE. Internet Explorer rather than Firefox.
When validating and ONLY then disable anti-virus and Firewall.

Go to this link and using IE and with A/V and Firewall disabled click Validate Windows.
http://www.microsoft...eScenarios.aspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 September 2011 - 03:19 PM.

renjac

renjac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
XP was what was originally on the Dell, same certificate etc.
I did change the mother board though, could that have done something?
The message didn't show up until later.

The product key in product key tool does not match what is on my certificate.

I get this message...when using the windows product key update tool:
The application has encountered a disk write error.
Error 0x800402c9

Edited by renjac, 16 September 2011 - 04:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I did change the motherboard though, could that have done something.

That is the cause of the problem.

A new motherboard is treated a s a fresh installation of Windows on a different computer to that which the OEM licence from Dell originally applied to
Do as I suggested please in the link I sent, but now that I know it is a new motherboard and that support for OEM licences is not provided by Microsoft you may have to contact Dell.

Does this help explain it
The product key for your old XP installation most likely located somewhere on your old computer case is forever tied to your old motherboard and not transferable. In a nutshell, new motherboard = new computer which requires you to purchase another copy of XP. This is Microsoft's rules/regulations.
Here is the full explanation
On a computer put together by a Royalty OEM, the preinstalled copy of Windows (including the recovery CD) contains configuration files that look for specific information in the system BIOS. If they find that information, no activation is required. Royalty OEMs have to provide a Certificate of Authenticity to each customer along with a unique product key (usually printed on a sticker on the side of the PC), but that key isn’t used to activate Windows initially. When you get a new computer from Dell or Gateway or Compaq or any other big PC vendor that uses SLP, no activation is required when you first run Windows, and no activation is required when you reinstall Windows – as long as you start your computer using the SLP CD on the same computer (or one with the same motherboard/BIOS combination).

That all said, I have always found Microsoft more than helpful. If you can get no help from Dell with it being an old system, then talk to Microsoft.
If you ask them they may help. However you will not be able to do it on the Internet, you will have to speak to them.

HOWEVER that all said, try the link I sent first and see where you go from there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 September 2011 - 04:00 PM.

renjac

renjac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much!
I tried the link and I get nowhere, the product key is not the same as what is written on the computer case and it does not allow me to change it ti givs me the Error 0x800402c9

I will call Dell to see if they can help and then I'll try microsoft as you suggest.
You have been very helpful.
This is the first time I have used a forum and I will surely try again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this please
http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=52012

then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

renjac

renjac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sorry, I had a bit of a problem and couldn't get on the computer for a few days.
The link you gave me doesn't work either, is that normal?