Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading a dell gx270 graphics card

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets make sure the video is disabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Video entry and make sure it is Dis-Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.

Advertisements

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok thanks. and how do i know if i installed the graphics card right? and how do i activate it.

Edited by SethWilliam, 18 September 2011 - 09:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you plug your monitor in and turn the system on the video should be there. Once in windows you will have to install the drivers from the disk that came with your card.
Once that is done you will be able to adjust the resolution and colors like you want.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok thanks and i can't seem to get into the BIOS what is the post screen?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
post screen are the black screens with DOS lettering that happen before you see the actual windows logo.
First one will usually tell you how to enter the BIOS. Normally it is by tapping the DEL key.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok their is only one screen before the windows logo appears and i tryed tapping the del key, nothing happened. their are two options at the top of the screen though. that say press f12 or something to go to boot menu and something else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

f12 or something to go to boot menu and something else.

Click F12 see if that gets you into the bios. If not the key may be F8, F2 or another F key to enter the Bios Cmos or Setup area.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
at the bottom of the post screen it says BIOS version: A06

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Somewhere on the first post screen it will tell you how to enter the Bios\CMOS\Setup.
They are all the same but the step to enter it will differ depending on the system.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
kk i thinki saw a setup menu option

Advertisements

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
ok i got into the setup menu/bios so what do i need to do now to shut of the integrated graphics card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Find the integrated peripherals and then highlight the onboard graphics. If it isn't disabled check the bottom of the screen to see ho to modify it.
It may be as simple as clicking enter then highlight disable. Then click enter and then F10 to save and exit. The system will now reboot.
If you are using the new card to do all this then the onboard has been automatically disabled anyway so you would not need to do this at all.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
so when i install the new card. do i turn it on and play or should i turn off the integrated card first? or does it do this automaitacly. and i just plug the card in thats it right no other requirements, besides to download the drivers. :) what i fit doesn't come with a disc?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you plug the card it should automatically disable the onboard. You then plug your monitor into the new card and start your system.
You will get generic drivers till you update the video card drivers.
If there is no drivers disk then I would suggest downloading the newest drivers now and save them to your desktop. That way once you replace it you will already have them ready to install.

SethWilliam

SethWilliam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
so how do i get the drivers for this specfic card

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130654