Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with self built computer.

• Please log in to reply

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
no, probably not, but are they faster, I can't recall offhand.

Seriously dude, you have no clue how much help you have been, thank you.

Advertisements

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Kind of hesitant on that card, seems like there are a lot of bad reviews on it on newegg, but good ones on tigerdirect. Thanks man.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
A lot of reviews complain about it running hot, but will it if I have 7 fans on my case?

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
What about this one? Saphire. It seems to have less issues with temperature, although it is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Pretty good looking card. It should do everything you want it to do at the highest settings for any game.
If you get the Blu Ray player it would help you from upgrading at a later time.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
it's basically the same card you chose, but it seems to have less temp problems, I wouldn't have found it without your help though. Thanks. I am also dropping the blu-ray player to save a little money. If I need/want it later I will get it, but I hope I won't have to. Plus by that time all the blu-ray's will have their issues worked out, most of them I looked up had some minor-major issues.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still don't have a bluray in my system so I understand completely the need to save money completely. :)

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I was wondering if you could finalize this for me. I am fairly certain everything I have right now fits together and is compatible, but I would like someone to double check it for me.

here is my wishlist.

PSU
Case
Motherboard
Graphics Card
CPU
RAM
HDD
CD/DVD drive
OS
x2 extra fans for case

I believe that is everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor you have now I take it?
Everything else looks solid for your build.
It looks like you are ready to take the plunge. :)

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
yep, got those from my current pc. To be honest I am a bit giddy. This will be my first computer that will be able to run new games. Thank you so much for all your time and help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I'm going to continue to watch this topic just in case you have any questions through the process of building the system.
If you are the least bit hesitant with any steps in the tutorial please ask. The worse thing is to spend all this money and then burn something out the first time you turn on the system because you didn't double check or ask a question.
If you have a digital camera handy taking a picture during the setup and attaching it to your post with a question will help a lot.
Just make sure to save any picture as a jpeg format so it will work. :)

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Will make sure to check in to let you know how it all goes. I will make sure nothing goes wrong, and if I have any questions I will let you know.

Thanks.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hmmmm.... Should I get the warranties on them, it boosts the price by like 150 dollars. There is one on the Motherboard, Graphics card, and Processor. Each of them are 2 year service net replacement extended warranties.

Edited by corbek, 15 September 2011 - 04:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything will come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. If you want to extend it then yes if you want to make sure you can replace it for a extra year.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Sadly I am getting a BSOD at install of Win 7. I get a single beep from the BIOS, which I like. However, when I try to install win7 it doesn't get very far into the install. It will load, then go to blue screen, or I will be able to start install but right away after that BSOD. I think it's the HDD I have, but not sure. This is what the screen says.

First time restart blah blah.

Check for disk space, blah blah, if a driver is id'ed in the stop message, disable or check with manufacturer for updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with hardware vendor for any bios updates, disable bios memory options such as caching/shadowing. If you need to use safemode, blah blah.

Tech information:
***STOP: 0X0000001E (0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

Not sure what is going on, i am gonna go try to swap out my current hd, for one of my old ones.