Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with self built computer.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well based on the Windows version there is nothing wrong with the drive so I have to go with that.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Did you want me to open anything up, or just see what is on there?

Attached Thumbnails

• Device Manager.jpg

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
omg, I am so stupid, I looked over this every single time I went into the event viewer. I think I found the issue. It seems to be some sort of power issue, not sure though but I have attached a jpeg of it for you to look at. I really hope this is the issue. Thanks lots. I guess the viewer lists all the critical errors, what I had gone in before was a list of windows log applications. I just kept it on the screen it opens up at and saw that it had a list of critical errors.

Also, the restart just happened twice and it has registered 2 within the last hour. So it has to be it right?

Attached Thumbnails

• Event Viewer.jpg

Edited by corbek, 28 September 2011 - 05:28 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange as the voltages looked good.
The system isn't doing this when it goes to a screen saver is it?
You running hibernate or sleep when not in use so the system powers down some when not in use?

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
no screen saver, and it seems to only happen when I am playing video games, and it seems to happen more frequently with larger/more advanced video games. I saw on a forum that a lot of people just upped the voltages on their ram I believe, and it seemed to fix it. I can't find the forum right now, but I will look for it again and get you a link.

I also see that I have two Audio drivers installed :/

they are: AMD High Definition Audio Driver Device, and Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. There have been many forums/help topics saying that multiple audio drivers sometimes cause the errors.

Edited by corbek, 28 September 2011 - 06:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What video card do you have again?
Possibly a video driver issue or a card not able to handle the heavier graphics.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
My Video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6950.

Edited by corbek, 28 September 2011 - 06:13 PM.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
seems on device manager it only shows up as 6900 series, doesn't show that it's a 6950... could that be a problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope that is normal for it to classify as a series and not the exact model.
Try this and let me know if it finds any updated drivers for the video card.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I think that disabling one of the sound drivers worked. I played the game that was prone to restarts for about an hour or two without a single occurrence. I will still download that drivermax and run it to make sure, but I am hoping that the issue is solved. And if so, thank you so much for helping me out.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I am not leaving till it has been tested for at least a couple of days again. Even then I will monitor the topic for awhile to make sure it doesn't return.
Yes please do the drivermax as it is really good on finding out dated drivers and the upgraded ones for you.
I am especially interested in the video and now the sound since you stated your status in your last post.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
try simply searching "event viewer id 41 kernel-power" in Google and you get a hectic/chaotic amount of random fixes and attempted solutions. This problem seems like it isn't an isolated occurrence and seems quite common, yet nobody knows what it really is or has something to detect it.

Drivermax information

DriverMax

I am downloading a few of the ones that I don't have right now, also, it looks like realtek is outdated, although I heard that newer versions of it are not stable on windows 7. Do you know anything about this?

Edited by corbek, 28 September 2011 - 11:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The new Audio drivers can be a pain but no worries as you can rollback the driver is it does

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well, disabling that audio driver didn't seem to work. Just had the exact same error as before. I ran the drivermax and nothing important seemed to be out of date, but will update the drivers that arn't.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Here is a list of the errors, warnings and criticals that happened before and directly after the restart. They all seem to occur the same way too. Each one has occurred 1 time this our, 3 times last 24 hours and 17 times within the last 7 days.

Error 9/29/2011 2:32:14 AM WMI 10 None
Description
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Warning 9/29/2011 2:30:27 AM e1qexpress 27 None
Description
Intel® 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
Network link is disconnected.

Critical 9/29/2011 2:30:26 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Description
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error 9/29/2011 2:30:32 AM EventLog 6008 None
Description
The previous system shutdown at 2:28:51 AM on ‎9/‎29/‎2011 was unexpected.

Edited by corbek, 29 September 2011 - 01:42 AM.