Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with self built computer.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Network card stopped responding

Warning 9/29/2011 2:30:27 AM e1qexpress 27 None
Description
Intel® 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
Network link is disconnected.

Indicates either a OS, Motherboard or PSU issue

Critical 9/29/2011 2:30:26 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Description
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Let me ask is this the new motherboard and everything?

Advertisements

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
yes it is. Would the card have stopped responding because the motherboard lost power, but data was still trying to be sent through it?

Edited by corbek, 29 September 2011 - 09:23 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK please be patient as I'm trying to run down a list of possibilities.
Has this been going on since you installed the new motherboard and all the parts?

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
yes, I didn't play any games before I installed everything and updated everything. Every part in my computer is brand new too lol, that doesn't narrow the search down at all. Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions I don't mean to be impatient, just trying to log all my questions and stuff. I don't have much time to put into finding the solution to this so I try to make sure I have somewhere I can look back at all my questions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions I don't mean to be impatient, just trying to log all my questions and stuff. I don't have much time to put into finding the solution to this so I try to make sure I have somewhere I can look back at all my questions.

I have no problem answering questions and if you didn't ask I would wonder if you were understanding what we are doing.
Now since this is all new let me ask when you put the motherboard in the case did you make sure there were no extra standoffs under the motherboard other then where a screw went through the motherboard into a standoff?
It is a common first time builder mistake and can cause all kinds of issues with the system.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The case is pre set up for ATX motherboards so I didn't have to put any standoffs in. I just had to screw the MoBo into the ones that were already there. As I said before though, when I took the motherboard out there was what looked like a dent in one of the components, I will check that when I turn my computer off to see what it was, I didn't think anything of it at the time and didn't inspect it, but now that I am having issues I will surely try to find it again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another thing you could do is a bench test with the motherboard outside the case to see if it is stable then.
Also FYI ATX form factor motherboards do not have the standoff holes always in the same place. Now some cases have just like bumps on the motherboard plate that the motherboard would screw down to.

Remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply and place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Also FYI ATX form factor motherboards do not have the standoff holes always in the same place. Now some cases have just like bumps on the motherboard plate that the motherboard would screw down to.

The case has the bumps in it. Why would it matter if the MoBo touches the case, in all circumstances doesn't the MoBo touch the case?

My MoBo has no integrated Graphics so I would have to put the Vid card in there too, so I will do this as soon as I can.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IF the standoffs are touching anything but the designated holes then it can cause a solder point to cross which can cause a short.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
hmm, didn't think about that, the bumps are rather wide, I will check to make sure there arn't any touching after I try the cardboard trick. Again thanks for your patience and help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK make sure you have the hard drive connected and try the same thing you did when the issue happened the last time.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That is the thing I hate most about this. I won't know it's fixed because it doesn't happen at a certain point, it just happens after an hour or longer of playing a few games I have.

Might be a day or two before I have the time to do this. Is there anything I can do before I take the pc apart?

Edited by corbek, 29 September 2011 - 11:28 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope we are working on the components as being the issue and this is the big one now.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Idk if I ever mentioned this before, and Idk if it will help, but every once in a while, maybe 1/5 of the errors it does a dzzzz noise, like it's stuck on a sound and is repeating. also, it just sits there and does that and doesn't stop until I force a shutdown.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That could be the sound card driver, the sound chip itself freaking out or a problem with the OS.