Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with self built computer.

• Please log in to reply

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I updated the driver... still restarts. I am gonna take my MoBo and stuff out right now and do the cardboard thing.

Advertisements

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
While taking my computer apart I checked that component that I thought was bent when I first put it together and I was right. It looks like it's the Extreme FX part of the motherboard, I assume that is the problem, and I have contacted newegg about an RMA. I also tried to put that third stick of ram in my comp and it BSOD'd on me, so I am going to return those too. I am gonna see if I can get a new processor too so I don't have to deal with thermal paste and losing the warranty on my processor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good ideal and it's better to start all new and I would suggest before installing everything you bench test the components outside to make sure they are working correctly.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
How do I do that? I have heard of it before, and know what it does, but have never done it or seen it done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The instructions are the same as what I posted about taking the motherboard out of the system and testing it. Bench testing is nothing more then connecting the motherboard to all the vital components outside of the case and running it.
A shop will do it on a bench with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive and a PSU. This allows the components to be what we call burned in to make sure they are working correctly. If everything works outside of the case then the logic is it will perform the same inside the case. If there are issues then we look at the case or the way the motherboard is mounted in the case. As I described before the most common newbie first time build mistake is having a standoff in the wrong place under the board which causes a short.
The least hurtful issue is the system won't boot or constantly reboots due to the short.
Worse case scenario is the motherboard shorts out and burns. This can also cause other components to burn and\or short out rendering them useless.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Wow, this is taking forever. I never would have imagined it to take so long just to return an item. It just got to California today, and will take 3-7 days for processing there, and then finally I will be shipped a new item.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah RMA's are never quick as a rule. Of course depending on how you shipped it may be part of the issue.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yeah, didn't really have the money to rush the shipping. Now that I am waiting so long I wish I had spent it because I am having complications with school. The day I send my parts back I am assigned something that I needed my computer for, and the prof. didn't give us a heads up or anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do they not have a computer lab at school you could use or even a library you could use computers at?

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yeah, I have to do that, and borrow my girlfriends laptop when I can. Also, the programs I need are randomly installed on the computers at my university, it's horribly time consuming finding one. What about you, do you go to school, or what do you do?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO I have 3 computers in my house that I keep running plus my sons who live away from home. I also have 5 computers that I have repaired and are stored in a closet if needed.
I do not go to school because I have been on disability for the past 10 years due to a bad heart, diabetes and high blood pressure.
I do this simply for the satisfaction of helping others who either don't have the resources to pay for a professional to help them or don't want to pay the high cost of the help. My only payment with this is a simple thank you and that in the end hopefully I have helped someone resolve a issue with their system and they are happy.
Your topic believe me is no where close to being the longest I have worked on here as that was over 400 posts total. I don't give up easily and yes even I ask for help when I get stuck with a issue.
In the end the only thing that matters to me is that your system is running correctly and that you can enjoy using it again with no problems.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I hope I have been appreciative enough for your help, if I am not conveying it well i'm sorry. I am glad I came here because I have learned a lot and plan to frequent the site when I get my computer back, helping people out, or just discussing things. I plan on becoming a teacher so, it is a good idea for me to know as much as possible about technology : )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Asking question as you have is the only way to learn. I have no problem with answering questions and actually would probably believe you knew what it is you are doing if you don't. Sadly that is how a lot of people make mistakes in the end by simply not asking a question just because they thought it was stupid even after second guessing themselves.
The stupid question is the one you don't ask that ends up messing something up in the end. If I don't know the answer I will find out for you I promise. :)

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
lol, thanks for having my back.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well, I just got the parts back today, played about an hour of the game that would crash every 15 minutes and it worked just fine. No issues. I will keep you posted on the current state of affairs, if it comes back, or if I have any other problems with it I will let you know.

Thanks lots Shaffer. I am forever in your debt.