Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just showing a blank screen when turning computer on

• Please log in to reply

Brian D.

Brian D.

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hello,

i recently purchased a computer off of ebay labeled as "not working", but i'm rather experienced with computers. anyhow..

when i turn the computer on, everything works fine, it's just the orange light stays on the monitor rather than turning green and showing the boot process, splash screen, etc.

i'm just assuming something's wrong on the motherboard with the video driver...but idk.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You do not specify the model of your pc but if it is a Dell i would suggest as a first test to unplug everything (Motherbaord, Video Card, HDD, CD/DVD ect) from your power supply and then take out the cmos battery also and wait a minimum of 5 minutes and then replug only the basics needed to boot and restart your pc, hopefully it will then boot.

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
sorry i didn't really give much information earlier..

it's a gateway 510s.

anyway, i tried your suggestion, but no dice :) i guess i just need to break down and buy a new motherboard.

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
one thing i did notice is that before i did this, everytime i turned the computer on (even with no video), there would be a red light on at the very bottom of the motherboard, but now that i've taken the battery out, etc. it no longer does this..

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am sorry I misread your first post, when you said the light stayed orange I thought it was on the computer and not on your monitor.

The LED on the motherboard indicates the presence of standby voltage if it is ok it is green if not than red, if not on at all then no power is going to the motherboard. Try another power supply if you can.

If your monitor does not receive any video signals is either for these reasons.

Video card problem
Pc is not starting properly
Video cord not seated properly or not working anymore
Monitor is not working (overheating is a common cause)

Have you tried either your monitor on another PC to check if it is working properly there or tried another monitor on your Gateway.

When you turn on the computer do you get any beeps, no beeps or just the regular one beep meaning the bios post has passed properly.