Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB 2.0 operating as 1.1 after OS re-install

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I am 99% certain that my USB ports are capable of USB 2.0 however I recently did a complete OS re-install and it seems my USB ports are now running as 1.1......

Thinking back to last time I did an OS re-install on the same machine I seem to remember installing some drivers to make the USB work as USB 2.0

Can anybody talk me through this as I cannot remember what I did. Also, is it possible or am I remembering completely wrongly?

In fact my system originally came with a disk which said on it USB 2.0 drivers - but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

(just looking in device manager, one of the items in the list says standard enhanced pci to usb host controller - does this help)

and how do I know which is which if there are two kinds? Is it possible that the front ports are different to the back?)

Edited by jayjay23, 14 September 2011 - 07:31 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No computer information means we are limited on telling you what to do.
If you are using XP have you upgraded to SP1? Before SP1 windows could only run at usb1.1.

There was also a windows update.
http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=23008

You also may need to download usb2 drivers from the manufacturers or motherboard makers website.
Also make sure usb2 is enabled in the BIOS.

SRX660