Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 update taking unusually long time

• Please log in to reply

hhb

hhb

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 (32 bit) on a Toshiba laptop. Last night, I got the notification icon asking me to shut down and install updates, so I did. I noticed that update 12 of 17 was taking a very long time. A couple of hours later, 12 of 17 was still installing. By bedtime, it was still stuck on 12 of 17. Now it's morning, 11 hours later, and 12 of 17 still hasn't finished.

This isn't the first time that I've had an upgrade that took overnight. A google search shows others have this problem. This seems to be a new trend lately. Any idea why sme Microsoft updates are taking so long? Any ideas on how to shorten the update times? Major OS upgrades (Vista to 7; service pack upgrades) look like greased lightning by comparison.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You have little choice if it is still at this stage stuck on installing updates.
I would recommend you start Task Manager
That is Ctrl Shift and Escape.
What is listed please in Applications.
Right click the application - applicable and then click Go to Process. The click End Process.

CAUTION
If you are fortunate your computer will reboot and you can then, use the Update Troubleshooter
http://windows.micro...talling-updates

HOWEVER be aware that you may encounter other problems, when the process is ended, you may find that even although you have done that Windows 7 then reboots into the update loop.

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I suspected as much. It finally finished updating, but I have no idea when. It finally finished sometime while I was at work. All of the updares were successful. I did not see anything in the link that covered excessively long update times, though. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question, though. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you wish to explore possible issues
Run this and send me the URL as requested in the guidance notes.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT to fix anything or RUN any other program from Pc Pitstop.

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here are the results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That system could very likely be improved by the uninstallation of Norton. Whilst I am NOT for one moment criticising the product for its effectiveness, it has a reputation of being responsible for a noticeable effect on
the speed of the system.

You may if you wish test this possibility next time you are downloading installing Windows updates by disbaling your Norton Firewall and AV.
ONLY DO SO WHILST on the updates., of course not on general browsing or other than completely trustworthy sites.

The system would also benefit from a cleanup of temporary files. You have 1468Mb of temporary files.

Clearly you are NOT still running the free trial of Norton, as this is NOT a new system, so you may have brought the product. In that case you can if you decide to follow my recommendations, and find that I am not correct, reinstall Norton using your password, key or whatever else it is that Norton provides.

If you do decide to proceed and are using Norton backup as well which is also installed - clearly be aware of the the uninstalling of that .
Here are the recommendations of GeekstoGo re Anti-virus.
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

I can recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, uses hardly any resources, coompared with other products.
You could then install Malwarebytes free edition, that does NOT provide real time protection but is ideal to scan files with before download if you do not know the source and as a system scan once a week or so.
You could either use the Windows Firewall. or choose from one on the list of the article.

If you decide to go with this recommendation you may need to use the Norton uninstall tool.
https://www-secure.s...redirect_pubweb

SO IF YOU DECIDE to go ahead here in summmary is what you do
So if you do this

1. Download Norton removal tool to the desktop
2. Download new AV setup to your desktop
3. Disconnect from the net
4. Remove Norton via control panel and reboot
5. Run the removal tool reboot
6. Install new AV

and commission Windows Firewall or as you have chosen.

Then in respect of the temporary files and the general cleanup, use the normal Windows 7 system maintenance procedure of disk cleanup etc, as outlined on the article.

http://windows.micro...p/top-solutions

You should also of course ensure that your browsing history and various temporarry files there are pruned from time to time.
Browser add-ons also cause performance problems. Browser add-ons are programs, such as multimedia add-ons, search bars, or other programs that usually appear on your browser's toolbar. Many browser add-ons can add to a rich browsing experience, offering multimedia or specialized document viewing. However, some add-ons can slow your Internet connection. If you suspect that add-ons are causing slow performance, try starting Internet Explorer in Add-ons disabled mode. Add-ons are disabled only for the session, but if you find your performance improves, you can use the Add-on Manager to turn them off permanently. To access the Add-on Manager from Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons. For more information, see How do browser add-ons affect my computer?

Like all computer programs, Internet Explorer requires a certain amount of computing power, memory, and disk space to run efficiently. Every webpage you view is first downloaded to memory and then saved to temporary disk files. Running another program that is using lots of memory and computing power can compete with Internet Explorer and cause delays. If you find your Internet connection running slowly and you have other programs running, try closing them. If you want to run several programs, consider increasing the memory you have on your computer. Low disk space can also cause performance problems. You can increase your disk space by deleting Internet Explorer's temporary files. To learn how to delete temporary files, see Delete webpage history.

Finally if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post and PLEASE DO let us know how you progress.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
hhb

It is now three days since my last post, on what may have caused this issue.

Finally if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post and PLEASE DO let us know how you progress.

When you get chance, we would appreciate your response.
If you have followed my recommendations, hopefully you will have noticed an improvement.
If you have decided NOT to uninstall Norton and prefer to leave it as is, then that of course is perfectly OK, as it is your computer.
Please just post, so that we may consider the thread dealt with.

hhb

hhb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you for the advice. What I will do is test the Norton idea by disabling it when the next round of updates come in. If this turns out to be a positive, then I will look for an alternative AV package. It is something I have been considering doing when the license expires anyway. There are so many things I like about Norton, but it does tend to grab the resources. It has done a very effective job in fending off attacks. I would like a security suite that can do just as good of a job without demanding so much of the system.

The temporary files will go before the night is over. I do deal with them from time to time. I have used Malwarebytes free version for quite some time and like it.

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted about the results of the next Windows update sans Norton.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for updating us.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
hhb

Has there been any progress on this issue please.

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted about the results of the next Windows update sans Norton.

Thank you