Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing screen.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK before I do anything else please boot into safe mode and let me know if the issue happens there.

Advertisements

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi again,
It is late evening here in England, so if you don't mind, I will post again tomorrow.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I will check for any updates in the morning. Have a good night and just to let you know you are doing great so far. :)

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi again.
Well should I be optimistic today?!
I ran pc in safe mode and browsing on IE9 no flashing. I couldn't access windows live to see if this was still flashing as I received error message:-
Windows live could not be started, it may not be installed correctly or that I am out of memory Ox80041161.
Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You received the message because your network stuff was disabled in Safe Mode.
If you want to see if it works correctly reboot and go into Safe Mode With Networking.
This will allow you to use the internet and Windows Live Mail.

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi
Yes I started it in safe mode with networking and that was the error message. PC flashing quite bad today.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I thought you had started it in Safe Mode and that would be one reason why. The other reason would be in Safe Mode the Windows Live Mail probably did not load since the startups are limited in Safe Mode.
Since the issue with the flashing did not happen in Safe Mode it is a good indication it is a Video driver issue.
Please do the following and let me know if the program finds a updated driver for your video card.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I have several items needing updates and don't know which to select! I have the following:-
VIA bus master IDE controller
VIA serial ATA controller
VIA standard host bridge (a few of these)
VIA standard PCI to ISA bridge
VIA ultra VLINK controller
VIA CPU to AGP controller.

Any ideas?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
VIA CPU to AGP controller. this one for sure.
VIA standard host bridge From what I found this is related directly to your issue.
Get these two first and update them. Let me know if the flickering stops after the second one is installed.

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi again,
I have installed what you said from driver max. Still flashing. However, there are only 2 more driver updates to install:- VIA bus master IDE controller and VIA serial ATA controller. I will do this tomorrow and report back.
Thanks a lot.
Steve

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok great job and don't give up yet even after updating the last two.
There is still what is called a Parallel Installation we can try. :)

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello again.
I have installed all driver updates now from drivermax. Still have flashing which is worse when accessing windows live as before. Any further suggestions?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now please check to see if there is a update for Windows Live.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask do you have a ATI or Nvidia based video card?

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Trying to find out. Meanwhile I have installed all windows updates that it has thrown at me, I assume windows live updates are included in this? It isn't just windows live that flashes away but it can happen any time. I did have trouble with sound and had to install a driver and then configured the pc to not accept sound driver updates. Sometimes sound is there, sometimes not, but continue to add realtek manually.