Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing screen.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I want to try something but I need so info first before I suggest it.

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to

1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

Advertisements

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
On MOB disc it says AMD nVIDIA. I have listed video resolution 640 x 480 x 32

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK. 27.7GB used and 270GB free space

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK enough free space to do what is called a Parallel Installation
This will load a second Windows on your hard drive with the generic drivers. If there is no flashing then we know it is a corrupted driver of some sort.
At that point we can either reload drivers one at a time with the new windows and then move everything as far as data back over to it. Your programs and all updates would need to be redone this way.
The other option is to completely uninstall all video drivers and start all over with the video reinstallation.
The other option is that the video controller itself is the problem but I doubt it since it worked in safe mode with no flashing.

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sounds a bit drastic! Shall we take the easy option?

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am frequently asked to download adobe flashplayer. I think I must have downloaded the wrong version previously. Would this make any difference. Should I get adobe flashplayer?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes update flash player and let me know what happens.

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK. I will come back tomorrow. Sorry for taking up so much of your time.
Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I enjoy helping. :)

codhead22

codhead22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi again.
Just to let you know that all is running fine now. I downloaded adobe flash player but this was not the culprit. I decided to rummage around a bit more and discovered a kind of 'add on' from some old monitor called S3 stray. When looking through the properties and setting of this S3 thing, low and behold, it was set to an old CRT monitor. It would not let me adjust to a modern LCD monitor so I unistalled this so called program that I have absolutely no idea where it came from! And the good news, no flashing whatsoever.

I must say a very big thankyou for helping out here. I have learnt an awful lot and you have given up such a lot of time and also been very patient with me. Really much appreciated.
Thankyou Mr. Moderator :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
S3 is most likely the driver for the old video or as you say the old monitor. I am glad it has been resolved and I thank you for allowing me to assist you and for your patience through all this.
I also wanted tot hank you for letting us know what the final steps were that resolved your issue. It may help someone in the future with the same issue. :) :yes: :unsure: :)