Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 - trouble accessing back up data on ext HD

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
(EDIT:Please advise if this should be posted elsewhere)

Hi guys,

Last year I made a full back up of my system with Acronis True Image 2009, saved to external HD.

Now I seem to have two problems with trying to access that data.

First of all I could navigate to My Computer> External> Vista (name of backup)

From here I could click through all folders and copy and paste them to my desktop or other location. However the file transfers were taking for ever. I mean really slow. 4 hours to transfer a folder of 18 MB.

At first I thought it was my USB ports.
I have now checked and they are up to date and USB 2.0

Now when I navigate to My Computer> External> Vista - I just get that spinning blue circle and it never lets me past that to see the folders so I cant get anything out of the Acronis back up.

I also thought maybe the hard drive was broken. So I transferred the 18MB folder to the the same external HD. It took about 4 seconds.
I transferred it back again to my pc. Also 4 seconds.

So it seems that the issue lies with the Acronis back up and I have never used it before so I am not sure what to do now. Otherwise, is it a prob with Win7 explorer?

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by jayjay23, 14 September 2011 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely your computer has reverted to PIO mode for the external drive. It can be caused by trying to access data on the drive that has bad sectors among the data. Not bad enough to corrupt the data but it cant be read easily so windows reads the files many times to make sure it's right. This causes PIO mode after a while.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

SRX660