Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hardware advice needed please

• Please log in to reply

PC innocent

PC innocent

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise a computer babe-in-arms please. I run two small businesses from seperate offices, using a laptop for each. I also work from home after hours, so I have to carry about with me both laptops plus current paperwork & files - quite cumbersome at best, a ton weight at worst. Is there a simple way to lighten the load? The two businesses share some identical files, which is why I have 2 laptops so they don't get mixed up. Thanks!

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well first thing is to get rid of all paperwork. Everything that has been put on paper should be made digitally and put on the computer. I know it seem tough to do but i have seen paperwork stop a business dead in its tracks until the papers were found. One business i help has saved over $5000 this year alone on paperwork. One 8x11 room of the building was devoted to just storing the paperwork and after 7 years the room was full. They just had to have a better way for files. They now backup monthly to DVD's they store in a fireproof safe in the room.

Second is that 1 laptop can do all you need if you just separate the 2 businesses. I have even made separate partitions on a hard drive for each business. It does not matter to windows if you have 2 of the same file in different folders or partitions. I also backup all daily files to a CD at the end of each day. Even if the files are not in their proper place i have a backup to fall back on if needed. It takes me 30 minutes to backup 3 businesses because all new data goes into a daily folder so all i have to backup is the daily folder. The daily folders are wiped clean each day after backups and transferring files to their proper folders.

I use descriptive names for the daily folders so i do not mix up the data from the businesses. That way when i open the folder i see what folder is being opened. Although one business uses Quickbooks Pro for their business, i still use my method until i have to input to their system. I prefer Microsoft office because i can make a script that can file a page into the proper place on the business computer, when documents are added to their system.