Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bare-bone Stock form issue

• Please log in to reply

cgarretson

cgarretson

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
If my computer/MB is on a large piece of cardboard and is in bare stock form (MB,1 stick of RAM, GFX card, and plugged into the PSU), what would it mean if only the CPU fan rotated slightly after shorting the Power Pins? No beeps, no lights, just a small fan rotation and stop. New PSU 750w, core i7 CPU, GTX 550 GFX, 1 x 4GB RAM stick (Corsair), BioStar TZ68A+ MB.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
That you need a case.
Mobo needs to be grounded with the correct number / placement of stand-off's in order to work in the first place.

Let's hope you didn't fry your mobo :)

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
no im trying to diagnose a problem with my MB/build in general and was advised to tear it down bone-stock to figure out the problem and add parts accordingly till i hit a speed bump and that would be the incompatible problem. but as it is now, nothin is happening with it but just a lil fan spin, it resides on a large piece of cardboard currently so grounding isnt an issue atm

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have we been addressing this issue in another post?

Edited by iammykyl, 14 September 2011 - 11:00 PM.