Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there a way to find out which internet port a program is using?

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there

The place where I live (a dormitory) we have this big shared connection, which has a quite strict firewall, which does not allow a lot of the ports to be open.

I have this program My link, which because of the aforementioned does not work as it cannot connect. My question is then is there a way I can find out what port it uses, and then get that port open so I can use the program?

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Hi lo2
We here at GeeksToGo!tm cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself.

These restrictions can include (but are not limited to):
  • Website Blocking policies
  • Software Installation policies
  • Email retention policies
  • Software Configuration policies
  • Network/Internet usage policies
  • Network Configuration policies
  • Forum or Chat Room Bans
  • Game Server Bans
  • Any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question

Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate our -Terms of Use-

If you have any questions or issues please contact a Staff Member for clarification.
(Original text by rshaffer61)

What you could do: send your network administrator an email requesting for help.

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there

It might not seem that trustworthy to state it now, but this is entirely in accordance with the rules for the use of the internet connection that applies at my dormitory.

The thing is that if I knew what port this program would use, I could tell them to open that port, something they would do. The hunch however is just that I do not know which port it uses, so I was merely trying to find a way to find out via you.

I hope for your understanding!