Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

._.DS_Store files - Cannot Delete - Access is Denied

• Please log in to reply

ghost_train

ghost_train

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been researching this topic like crazy and finding no solutions.

I work at a small company (6-7 people). We use various computers (mac & pc)
and share access to a large network drive. I am leaving in a month so I've
backed up all my files from the network. But now I have a big problem.
Many of the folders (which contain personal files, owned software, etc)
cannot seem to be deleted. It seems all the folders containing DS_Store files.
I've looked almost everywhere. Tried a bunch of different software on
both Mac & PC. Nothing is working.

Windows:
Unlocker - failed
File Assassin - failed
UnlockIT - Doesn't recognize any locked files - failed
WhoLockMe - couldn't get it to work properly- failed
DelinvFile 4.04 - Delete error 123 - code 123 - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect - crashed - failed
DS_Store Cleaner- 0 files deteted - failed
BDel.exe - couldn't get it to work properly- failed
FreeFile - did not recogniced any locked files to delete - failed
Folder Washer 1.01 "Process compete:0 files deleted"- failed

Mac:
BlueHarvest - did nothing - failed
MacKeeper - did nothing - failed
DS_Store Cleaner- 0 files deteted - failed
Folder Washer 1.01 "Process compete:0 files deleted"- failed

I made a few batch files on Windows (from instructions) that: failure.
I followed instruction to use Terminal on Mac: failed
I did find some solutions to prevent our mac computers from creating more
DS_Store files, but that doesn't really help me here.

Here is the message I get from a regular delete:

"Cannot delete <insert file / folder name here>: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use."

My boss (who set the whole thing up) has had the same issues and can't figure it out.

Please help!

Edited by ghost_train, 15 September 2011 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly welcome to GeekstoGo.

Please do not think that what follows is a definite decision to decline help on this occasion.
It is NOT.
However one of our terms of use of the site is

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

I appreciate that you say that you work for a small company. So presumably the comany will not have an IT dept.Please confirm that this is the case, and that it is not part of a larger GROUP that do have an IT dept.

My other concern is that you have personal data on the companies computer and are attempting you say to delete that PERSONAL data. HOWEVER I hope you will understand that, deletion of data stored on a network drive is frequently blocked to all except the system adminstrator when the network is setup.

It is, mainly because we cannot be asured that you are authorised to delete the data, that I believe we cannot help.

That all said, you will see that I am an Apprentice Staff member and if you wish the matter to be reviewed by a Senior Staff Member, please indicate that in your reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 September 2011 - 12:13 PM.

ghost_train

ghost_train

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Firstly welcome to GeekstoGo.

Please do not think that what follows is a definite decision to decline help on this occasion.
It is NOT.
However one of our terms of use of the site is

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

I appreciate that you say that you work for a small company. So presumably the comany will not have an IT dept.Please confirm that this is the case, and that it is not part of a larger GROUP that do have an IT dept.

My other concern is that you have personal data on the companies computer and are attempting you say to delete that PERSONAL data. HOWEVER I hope you will understand that, deletion of data stored on a network drive is frequently blocked to all except the system adminstrator when the network is setup.

It is, mainly because we cannot be asured that you are authorised to delete the data, that I believe we cannot help.

That all said, you will see that I am an Apprentice Staff member and if you wish the matter to be reviewed by a Senior Staff Member, please indicate that in your reply.

Thanks for the quick reply.
We don't have any IT Dept. It's a unique job. Started out with a group of friends who had a band. Then turned
into a small indie record label. I came onboard as an electronic / hiphop artist, then audio engineer onto
being the Production Director just doing small video and animation work. We're all pretty close. Our network
drive has multiple folders for each section of the co., plus each employee has their own folder to use for
whatever we want. Each with a password. I was clearing mine out to make more space and cannot delete a large
portion of the files. I mentioned to my boss and he said he was having the same problem. After researhing
I found it is related to those DS_Store files created by mac computers and is a commmon issue. But, I have
not come across any solutions to the problem other than preventing the mac from creating more. The fail safe
solution might be to just wipe the entire drive, but that's not exactly an option right now.

Edit: about having the authority to delete my files. I do have authority to do so. But this happens to be
something of an error created by the junk the mac has left behind. So even the admin cannot seem to delete
it.

Edited by ghost_train, 15 September 2011 - 12:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this HERE and let us know if it works. :)

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
The nice thing about Macs is that you can boot them as an external hard drive. If the OP has another PC with a firewire i/f try this.

On Mac OS X 10.4 and later:

• From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .
  • In System Preferences, from the View menu, select Startup Disk.
  • In the Startup Disk preference pane, click Target Disk Mode..

Reboot, connect with a Firewire cable to another PC and your Mac becomes a hard disk

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Azarl as I am not very good with Macs at all. I should really try to pick one up somewhere just to play with it. :) Maybe I'll learn something new huh.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.