Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removable Storage

• Please log in to reply

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ive been having problems with my computer...I downloaded a program that brought a bunch of spyware in my computer... I think ... THINK I got all that taken care of... but I rebooted my computer and it came up with the found new hardware thingy... and it said "Rmoveable Storage" how do I fix this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do your CD ROM drives run, have you got a card reader, does the floppy drive run

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
storage media some times refers to USB i think ,, as far as others are may be your CD rom drive is not responding properly chek them

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I open up device manager... it lists my floppy and CD/DVD drive seperatly... and it says they are working...whats a card reader???

Edited by Starlight_Guided, 01 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you check the CD ROM drives work, load, play a disc

Do you get the add new hardware wizard after the removeable storage

Does the PC run despite this

A card reader lets you load memory stick, compact flash cards

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Did you check the CD ROM drives work, load, play a disc

Do you get the add new hardware wizard after the removeable storage

Does the PC run despite this

A card reader lets you load memory stick, compact flash cards

View Post

I dont have a card reader I dont think... I dont have memory sticks or anything like that.... the CD drive does work *knock on wood* and yes the PC runs, because I am on it now.... *knock on wood*

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try TuneUP Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, this takes a while, the screen goes to black and white then needs a reboot

See what the PC does

Usually if you get new hardware found it is followed by add new harware wizard, if you then press OK to install it will either say what it is or it could not install, then there is an option to tick, do not remind me about installing this again

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Try TuneUP Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, this takes a while, the screen goes to black and white then needs a reboot

See what the PC does

Usually if you get new hardware found it is followed by add new harware wizard, if you then press OK to install it will either say what it is or it could not install, then there is an option to tick, do not remind me about installing this again

View Post

Ok... you kinda lost me... because when it came up "Found NeW Hardware" I could choose to install it... but it couldnt find a place to install it from.... does this Tune Up thingy change anything on my computer?! is it safe?! and are you saying that since my computer IS running now that if I didnt install it it wouldnt hurt my computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up is safe, it will look for obsolete entries, remove them, then you should not get the removeable storage thing.

With the add harware wizard, tick do not remind me

If the PC runs and you can stop the add hardware wizard that is fine

Set a restore point before you run tune up, running tune up is not essential though, you could run disc clean up but tune up will do a more thorough job

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok... disk cleaner is run, and registry cleaner is run... when I run the defrager thingy... do I need to shut down out of everything else?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Make sure IE isn't running, or any programmes are in use, you can leave everything which loads at start up

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok... so... I should get out of things like ICQ and Ventrillo and Outlook... Etc Etc?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That would be safest, though only if they are actually running, like you have Outlook open at the inbox

Starlight_Guided

Starlight_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok... I did everything you said to do... and it is still showing up in my Device Manager....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it have an exclamation mark