Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop dies

• Please log in to reply

Vincent White

Vincent White

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help, when I using laptop if I lift it up say off my lap it completely dies and will not turn back on, after a while and after removing battery it sometimes does come back on.
I ask myself could it be the battery? Or might something be loose inside?
Any thoughts please.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I use to have a toshiba 8000 laptop that acted similar. 2 things were causing my problems. one was a very loose connector on the power supply. Quite often i would have to jiggle the connection to get it to charge the battery. Second thing was i had a battery that was very weak. it would only run the laptop for about 15 minutes off the battery. Then the laptop would shut down and i would have to plug in the charger and make sure the battery light was on before i could restart the computer.

So, i thunk you have a weak or damaged charging system and also a poor connection of the laptop to the battery. Unfortunately with battery's costing in the $100 to $300 range, unless this is a new laptop, it might be a better idea to buy a new laptop instead of trying to repair yours. I have dozens of somewhat newer laptops, that i save for when i can find another similar laptop, so i may be able to replace the bad charging systems in them. If i don't then i just sell the parts on craig's list or Ebay.

SRX660