Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network

• Please log in to reply

adc

adc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I just purchased a new Netgear N600 wireless router and configured it using a Dell Latitude E5500 laptop which I use only for business. When I tried to connect another laptop (Toshiba Satellite P25-S509, which is now mainly my iTunes/email machine), I receive the error "windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network..." The Toshiba has worked on all previous wireless routers I've had, and all other devices I have (Dell laptop, two iPhones, two iPads) all connect to the new router just fine. I've read older posts of users having similar problems, but none of their fixes have seemed to do the trick. I know there is most likely a simple fix, just not sure what it is.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

Try this:

To disable IEEE 802.1x authentication:

Click Start, then select Run.
In the Run dialog box type ncpa.cpl and then click OK.
Right-click the Wireless network connections icon, and then select Properties.
Click the Wireless network tab.
Click the Properties button beside Remove.
Click the Authentication tab, and clear the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network check box.
Click OK to update the settings.

From the Netgear support website: http://support.netge...s-in-windows-xp

Cheers

adc

adc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Troy,

Sorry for not listing these earlier, but I have already tried removing and re-adding the wireless network to the list of preferred networks and disabled IEEE 802.1x authentication with no luck. Should I use something other than WPA-PSK Network Authentication? My other laptop has WPA2-PSK with AES encryption and it works just fine.

adc

adc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any more thoughts?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I just found another thread with a similar problem, the resolution was to uninstall and reinstall the wireless drivers on the laptop. Try this and let me know.