Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Loud Fan Noise

• Please log in to reply

cyrawhite

cyrawhite

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have a Compaq Presario CQ61, Windows 7, AMD Sempron M120 2.10GHz, 64 bit OS, Ram 2.0GB, with 1.75GB usable
Lately it's been making this loud noise seems to be from fan. I've blowed the vents out, and I've took the computer apart to clean the fan. Doesn't seem to be dirty, I know it could be the fan, just trying to make sure. My warranty is up also.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which fan since the average system has 3 fans. Intake, CPU and PSU. Knowing which one would help to determine the type and price to replace.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
The bearings may have gone on the CPU fan, see page 81 of the user manual for how to replace the fan/heat sink assembly
http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01740724.pdf

cyrawhite

cyrawhite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I'm assuming it's the CPU fan, when I took the laptop apart it was the only fan I seen

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would be correct since it is a laptop

Bill Tang

Bill Tang

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The FAN & heatsink seem to be the limiting factor to a computer's life. If you can dig down into the fan bearing, a drop or 2 of motor oil in there will help quiet it down and extend its life. I do this every year to all of my Point of Sale computers I service. Many of them are 5-7 years old 24hr 7days on the original motherboards.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The FAN & heatsink seem to be the limiting factor to a computer's life

Ummm, not really. Heatsinks don't go bad. They are just chunks of metal that sit there, and are not subject to any wear and tear, or friction.

All fan bearings WILL eventually wear out, but fans can easily be replaced, so they do not impact the life of the computer - assuming heat is still properly managed. Also, it is actually bad to oil fan bearings. These are "sealed" bearings that use permanent grease for lubrication. Oil, also a petroleum distillate, if it gets past the seals, will break down the grease and it's protective values. So the best thing is to just keep the interior of the case clean of dust, keep an eye on your temps, and listen for an increase in fan noise and vibrations (symptoms of worn bearings).