Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 doesnt load after ubuntu installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nikolasr

Nikolasr

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello, i got problem after installing ubuntu 10.10 on my hdd where prevously i haved windows 7. Ok so lets start
I have installed ubuntu on new ext4 partition and set boot options to be as windows 7 loader. Okay installation finished. Now i got problem when i restart pc i get only blinking _ and notting, I just tired to boot windows 7 disc and run startup repair but didnt solve my problem still. Then i try with /fixmbr /fixboot still doesn't solve my problem. Please tell me what to do?

If you need more information please tell me.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you not read that windows 7 cannot read ext4 partitions unless you have software that allows it to?

http://www.ubuntugee...-windows-7.html

So now you have wiped your drive of all windows partitions and effectively deleted the windows 7 install? If we do not know exactly what you did we can only guess at what transpired. If you did delete any ntfs partitions then "startup repair" will NOT work. You will need to find a microsoft win 7 dvd and use it to reformat the drive as ntfs and then reinstall windows. Perhaps you may be able to get a set of recovery dvd's from the maker of the computer, but that does not happen with all manufacturers. H-P is good about that and dell is also.

http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html

http://www.proposeds...covery-console/

SRX660

Nikolasr

Nikolasr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello, well i haved good grub loader where i have win 7 loader inside..but wanted to reinstall ubuntu and i choose to use loader from windows and replace..and now i got this blinking _ when i start my pc and trying to boot from HDD. You need more info, just tell me.

Nikolasr

Nikolasr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
BUMP

rezat

rezat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you tried the re-installation of the Grub boot loader? This guide may help you:

Grub Repair

Nikolasr

Nikolasr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello fixed with EasyBCD. It was do awesome job.