Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen problems

• Please log in to reply

liphook27

liphook27

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi

I have a HP G70 laptop which im having some problems with, and would appreciate some help please.

The screen suddenly developed a vertical line around 6 inches from the right side, it reaches from top to bottom, also there are a few red lines that are like wavy lines running horizontally across the screen.

When connected to my plasma tv via a hdmi cable, the picture on the tv is fine.

i know that this model has an lcd screen and an inverter, but not sure which one of these will be the problem, from what i have read, the inverter would make the screen go dark, but that isnt happening.

any ideas please, so i can fix it.

cheers
liphook27

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi liphook27
The symptoms that you describe initially suggests a bad video chip or a driver issue but as the display is good on an external screen it may rule those possibilities out, another possible cause may be the MB to screen video ribbon which can sometimes become damaged or detached.
Repairing laptops is best left to a suitably qualified/competent person as putting the wrong sized screw in the wrong place can ruin the whole laptop, read through the attached guide to decide for yourself if you will check the ribbon out http://www.insidemyl...0-g70-notebook/

liphook27

liphook27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi liphook27
The symptoms that you describe initially suggests a bad video chip or a driver issue but as the display is good on an external screen it may rule those possibilities out, another possible cause may be the MB to screen video ribbon which can sometimes become damaged or detached.
Repairing laptops is best left to a suitably qualified/competent person as putting the wrong sized screw in the wrong place can ruin the whole laptop, read through the attached guide to decide for yourself if you will check the ribbon out http://www.insidemyl...0-g70-notebook/

just an update on the laptop, not had time to look inside yet.

the problem has escalated though, at first there was the problem above, then when you moved the screen it would flicker and go off, you had to adjust it slowly and it would come back on, but you couldnt move it or would go off again.

now its permanently off, the screen flickers if you move the hood up and down and you see it briefly, but wont stay on.

ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
See post #2

liphook27

liphook27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
does it sound more like the cable than the screen and inverter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes but until you check the cable no one can say 100% what it is + checking the ribbon will not cost anything.

EDIT: It is the opening and closing of the lid making the display come and go + the good external display that suggests the ribbon.

Edited by phillpower2, 02 October 2011 - 05:03 AM.

liphook27

liphook27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
finally got around to opening my laptop up

i disconnected the video ribbon and cleaned the connection, reassembled it.......and it seems to have done the trick, no flickering and no red lines.......jobs a gud un

saved myself a few quid.....thanks for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I am happy that you got it sorted and thank you for taking the time to update us, the feedback you have provided may help others in the future :)