Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox PC NOT LISTED, AaaArRRgGGghHH!

• Please log in to reply

JezXYZX

JezXYZX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi geeks!
where to start, or should i bother coz this is a mish impossible!

Iv'e been trying for three days now to get my crappy laptop to work with my WMP11 (windows media player), there both microsoft
products, why is it so difficult??
lets begin:
BT Home hub connected wired to my xbox, wi-fi connected to my Windows Vista Home Basic laptop, i have also tried hub to laptop wired also,
in '' manage network connections'' I have set up my wi-fi for sharing & in settings I have 3 xbox ports open with UDP, what ever that means?
In my network map my xbox is visible.
In '' network & sharing center'' discovery is on, file sharing is on, public folder sharing is on (read only), media sharing is on.
In WMP I have media sharing on & xbox selected.
On the xbox, when I search for computers I get the message ''PC not found''
The Things I have tried:

Xbox=
-reset network settings

Laptop=
-turned off firewall
-windows update
-WMP fix through microsoft website
-services.msc & checked: SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (all are running & set to automatic)
-DRM License upgrade

The things I have tried are not listed in any peticular order, I can't remember where I started, I have also done some other stuff that I cant remember also, the only thing I can think now is that there might be some advanced settings I might have screwed up in the process of this attempt, if there is a networking pro anywhere that can help that would be great,
Thanks

Advertisements

JezXYZX

JezXYZX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
today after re indexing my folders & restarting my laptop my xbox managed to find my pc but when i clicked on it i got the message ''Test Failed, there is a problem with your connection''

so close I honestly thought i'd done it, so hacked off right now :)

Edited by JezXYZX, 17 September 2011 - 09:31 AM.

JezXYZX

JezXYZX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SOLVED!!!!

ok to any1 who has the same probs as me then all the freaking best to sorting this out!
I really can't begin to understand why microsoft made this so bloody hard!!!
I could not begin to start telling you where to start because I tried absolutely everything and would not have a clue as to say what was the real problem, basically after everything I tried the solution came when I opened up services (for the 100th time) services is (open RUN + type ''services.msc'') went through everything & on the SSDP I restarted this by stopping it and starting it again.
finally my xbox picked up my laptop & they are now making love!!!