Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VB6 and Oracle (SQL) Project in Ubuntu Lucid?

• Please log in to reply

akshaypande1989

akshaypande1989

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I developed a project using Visual Basic 6.0 and Oracle RDBMS (8.0 I think) during school between 2004-05. I'm trying to run this now in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS AMD64. How should I go about it? What alternate open source frameworks would allow me to edit and run this project?

Thanks,
Akshay Pande

Edited by akshaypande1989, 17 September 2011 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Hi,

I developed a project using Visual Basic 6.0 and Oracle RDBMS (8.0 I think) during school between 2004-05. I'm trying to run this now in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS AMD64. How should I go about it? What alternate open source frameworks would allow me to edit and run this project?

Thanks,
Akshay Pande

Hey there akshaypande, sorry for the late reply.

I have heard about a fancy thing called: Mono... But to be perfectly honest I have never used it and cannot give you proper details about it's use and how it works exactly. Find more information about that here:

http://en.wikipedia....Mono_(software)

I will also be installing it and will let you know if you don't do it before me... I'm also not too sure if you can port VB6. But this is your best direction to head towards if you looking at porting your old VB programs...

In general though the entire Visual Studio (And VB6) and .NET framework was made by Microsoft to run on Microsoft platforms and was built around the architecture of the Operating System itself... It's not as versatile as something like C++ or Java would be... But I recall installing VB6 on a Linux box using Wine and it worked fine, although I didn't do heavy development involving databases or anything intricate... But because you installing it under Wine it's still using windows libraries and wouldn't really be a Linux program. So if you have to copy a compiled program (In Wine) to another Linux based OS then it wouldn't run... Also I have never tested Wine with a .NET framework, but I reckon it wouldn't work too well.

So your best bet is Mono... Hope this helps you out a little more.

Peace Out :)
Spike