Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7- cant install ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

MikeS71

MikeS71

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Running Windows 7 Home, things were fine for a while but in the apst several weeks I have started to have problems installing anything... its at a point now that I am unable to install ANYTHING without getting an APPCRASH error.

I went onto MS help forums and tried to use their install/uninstall problem diagnostic... but I cant install it!!!

I thought there may have been an issue with AVG so I unstalled it and tried again, no luck... then I tried to D/L AVG2012 and I am unable to install that either!! What the heck is going on??? Please help!!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Open Event Viewer
  • Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Event Viewer tracks information in several different logs. Windows Logs include:

• Application (program) events. Events are classified as error, warning, or information, depending on the severity of the event. An error is a significant problem, such as loss of data. A warning is an event that isn't necessarily significant, but might indicate a possible future problem. An information event describes the successful operation of a program, driver, or service.
  • Security-related events. These events are called audits and are described as successful or failed depending on the event, such as whether a user trying to log on to Windows was successful.
  • Setup events. Computers that are configured as domain controllers will have additional logs displayed here.
  • System events. System events are logged by Windows and Windows system services, and are classified as error, warning, or information.
  • Forwarded events. These events are forwarded to this log by other computers.
Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

• Click an event log in the left pane. Application and System Events Find the event relating to the failed install
  • Double-click that event to view the details of the event.
  • Post the results of that please on your reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 September 2011 - 04:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above, when you have the event log on the window, see my image please, albeit this is for a chkdsk result , to the right you will see the Copy cmd, click that and then psate on your reply.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
There are multiple errors from things I was trying to do today (install AVG, Windows diag tool etc) Here are a few:

Faulting application name: MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.Run.exe, version: 3.0.0.35, time stamp: 0x4df1e8e3
Faulting module name: apphelp.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b73e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00006237
Faulting process id: 0x930
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7573422aa481
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Stanley\Downloads\MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.Run.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\apphelp.dll
Report Id: 80fbf8a3-e166-11e0-baac-50e54940e88b

Faulting application name: MatsBoot.exe, version: 3.0.0.46, time stamp: 0x4e01906e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do this please.
  • From the Start menu, click All Programs and click Accessories.
  • Click Run. A Run window (command prompt) appears.
  • Type msconfig in the Open field and click OK.
  • If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue. The System Configuration Utility opens.
Does the System Configuration Utility open please.
Please do NOT use it, I just wish to ascertain if it opens.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off now.
Please do NOT think that I am saying that you have done anything wrong in asking for help on different sites.
However, you cannot successfully work on different sites at the same time.
A posible solution posted on one site, may not rest easily with something suggested elsewhere.

May I suggest that you decide on which site you wish to continue.
You only have to post that your decision is to continue on GeekstoGo and we will do our best to resolve your problems.
I was moved to search your possible posts on other sites as I noticed that you were still online, but I was waiting for the reply to the two miniute task of ascertaining if you could open msconfig.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I apologize for the multiple posts- I posted into both forums because I'm honestly going nuts with this!! I've had XP then Vista on previous builds and now moved to 7 on this new build and its been one headache after another!! This forum has always been reliable and my go-to for help from building to technical issues... so please help me! Earlier, I was on but not at the computer- left it on while putting my daughter to bed...

All that being said, yes the msconfig window does open.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Just as an addition, tried to install update to Adobe reader- failed to install... event log for that is in 2 parts:

Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) -- Error 1335.The cabinet file 'Data1.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) - Update 'Adobe Reader X (10.1.1)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=23127

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run a system file checker
Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannowThe sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Heres where I am now: Ran the diagnostic, got the message "...found corrupt files but was unable to fix all of them. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

After that I tried both the Adobe update and installing AVG, the Adobe update failed again. AVG appeared to install correctly but when attempting to launch it hangs and gives APPCrash error.

So, figuring you would want to see the event log for that I tried to open eventvwr and it crashed!!! Here is the cut and paste from that:

Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: mmc.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc808
Fault Module Name: mmcndmgr.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c775
Exception Offset: 0000000000002444
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f0e0
Additional Information 2: f0e0513e6d8ceb50f262d1dd9621ff23
Additional Information 3: 0a58
Additional Information 4: 0a589188c814e4c23ea48c6ce705625f

Edited by MikeS71, 18 September 2011 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here is a whole new wrinkle... after running the diagnostic I noticed a message appear in the lower right of the screen saying my copy of Windows was not genuine. Then, my screen background went to black and a message popped up saying that my copy of Windows was not genuine and needed to be restored, reinstalled, or validated. I followed the link onto MS website and downloaded the validation utilit- ran that which took me to the MS page displaying the message "Validation in Progress" "May take a few minutes" That was 15 minutes ago and its just hung on that screen.

Before anyone asks, unless Newegg sold me a counterfeit copy of Windows then it is valid. I am now on my laptop.

I never had issues like this before with XP or Vista on my previous builds, are problems like this common with 7?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Windows 7 is susceptible to issues with drivers particularly and a number of people have encountered problems after some updates.
However in my experience most of the problems have been, not with 7 itself but with other programs and updates that have not sat well with Windows 7.

1. Have you used any form of registry cleaner or make your computer go faster program.
Please note I do not mean you should, I mean exactly the opposite - never run these sort of programs.

2. Have you accepted any driver updates offered from a program such as DriverH/Q etc. They frequently offer the wrong driver.

3. Do you run P2P software, download torrents etc. Please do NOT think I am sitting in judgement, but it is a prime way of acquring unwanted software - by that I mean infections.
PLEASE NOTE = I am NOT suggesting you have an infection. I am not qualified to analyse the siutation, as on GeekstoGo only certified can do so. If you have been running such, my advice may well be different.

4. When did this problem first occur.
If it is NOT too long ago a system restore may well be the way to go.

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Posted Image. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Posted Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.
Posted Image System Restore in Windows 7 can prevent hours of troubleshooting headaches after a crash.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2011 - 12:38 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Honestly, the answer is yes to several of your questions... I had a P2P briefly which I deleted, I did not run a specific registry cleaner but did use Revo to uninstall the P2P which may be contributing... I have also read some thing about AVG causing some conflict issues. The problem has existed for a while but previously had been localized to Firefox crashes or issues with Media Player- this inability to install anything has only been the past few days. I do not have a restore point that I am confident predates the issues and as such am thinking my best bet may be a complete reformat and clean install.

I have everything important backed up on a USB so the only real pain would be the loss of bookmarks etc... thinking thats the way I may go.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would NOT do that just yet. - the complete format and reinstall

I would now do a chkdsk.
Open the Computer option from the start menu, which will display all of the drives available to scan on your PC:

Posted Image

Then, right click on the drive you wish to scan for errors and select Properties:

Posted Image

Now click the Tools menu, then Check Now under the error-checking section:

Posted Image

You have several options within the check disk tool. It is always recommended you leave the "automatically fix file system errors" box checked, as this repairs and problems found. If you want to perform a deeper scan, tick "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". This second option takes longer, but is worth doing if you suspect a drive problem. Once you are configured, click Start:

Posted Image

If you try to check a disk that is currently in use, you will receive a message asking if you wish to schedule a scan. Accepting this will perform the scan next time you restart your PC:

Posted Image

NOTE
Click to check both boxes please including scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. When it has completed and the computer has rebooted please go event viewer, windows logs, application and in the main window wininit has the results

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2011 - 03:42 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'll give it a shot, running it now... I am now getting a popup message from Windows saying "A change was made to Windows, you must reinstall and activate..." When chkdsk finishes ill post results