Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7- cant install ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In view of the last I would consider a repair install of Windows.
Unlike XP where the repair install was actually listed as such on the second R option, the first being the Recovery Console, on Windows 7 it is the upgrade option.
Depending on the exact nature of the install DVD - this option should be available.
See this as to how.
http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html

There is a way to use the Windows 7 install DVD to replace the system files that Windows could not repair, by ascertaining from the CBS (Component Based Servicing Log) which those were and then copying them from the Win7 DVD and then going to Windows updates. However it is not easy. Each file in the CBD log must be identified correctly and the correct DOS cmd typed.

I do not honestly expect the chkdsk to resolve anything.

Even if the repair install fails you cannot really be in a worse situation than you are now.
I would of course backup first, as with any procedure of this nature there is of course always the chance of failure.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
You are correct- the chkdsk did not resolve the issue... it just finished up- it certainly does take a while!! I have a backup of everythin important and so my lean is toward just doing a fresh install rather than even a repair... I just feel like starting over would mean being done with it. Is there any reason (other than the time it takes reinstalling drivers) that a clean format and install is not advisable?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The question is what did chkdsk find.
That may provide some more information..

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
How do I check? Dont see anything in theevent viewer

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You go to event viewer as you did before and it is on Application Wininit.
Please see my post 2, 3 and 14.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I feel like an idiot and appreciate the patience, I'm not sure what I'm looking for- I go into the Windows logs for the time I did the scan yesterday but dont see anything about it- dont see anything labeled "Winiinit"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See the link please
http://www.sevenforu...viewer-log.html

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Got it, thanks... heres the log:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
101376 file records processed. File verification completed.
175 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
The parent 0x100000000248b of index entry AM2A03~1.MAN of index $I30
in file 0xd05d is incorrect. The expected parent is 0x100000000268b.
Deleting index entry AM2A03~1.MAN in index $I30 of file 9867.
140168 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
1 unindexed files scanned. Recovering orphaned file AM2A03~1.MAN (53341) into directory file 9867.
0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
101376 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 215 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 215 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 215 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
19397 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34118216 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 27507
of name \PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\WER\REPORT~2\AP5011~1.EXE\WERA0D~1.HDM.
101360 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
225090196 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

976657407 KB total disk space.
76011760 KB in 73581 files.
53704 KB in 19398 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
231159 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
900360784 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244164351 total allocation units on disk.
225090196 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 8c 01 00 3f 6b 01 00 d9 ba 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....?k..........
2c 40 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ,@..<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Although the main purpose of running the chkdsk was to see if it would improve the situation AND to establish if there were any bad sectors reported, which there is NOT. These are a sign of a filing hard drive, I am concerned about the report that says that windows replaced bad clusters .

Windows replaced bad clusters in file 27507
of name \PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\WER\REPORT~2\AP5011~1.EXE\WERA0D~1.HDM.

Many of the other entries about cleaning up minor discrepancies are of no consequence.
The orphaned file report could be caused if the file had been compresed., as it means in essence that it was found without its parent file.
I have to be honest and say that some of this is beyond my level of knowledge.

I would recommend that you go device manager and expand the entry disk drives and ascertain if you do not already know it the make of the C Drive.
Then go here
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Most of the drives - Toshiba is an exception - have the manufacturers disk checking utilities and most can be made to boot the computer and check the drive.
So you can make the bootable CD or floppy if your system is old enouigh to have a floppy and run the utility to carry out another check on the drive.

Alternatively you can try the repair install I sent you., OR proceed with your suggestion of a complete format and reinstall
My concern is that you go to all the trouble of format and clean install to find that you have the same problems.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 September 2011 - 06:37 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the feedback, I know the C: is a WD Black, I built the system a little over a month ago so if the drive is bad I need to deal with WD on a replacement... I think I'm gonna go with the clean format and install- if I have problems after that then I'll look at changing the HD. Going to do the install tomorrow and will post up the result.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Reformat and install done... and here we go. I have installed nothing but the device drivers. Opened Media Center OK (wasnt working before) then tried to open IE to get online and it crashed:

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79912
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7ba58
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000ce653
Faulting process id: 0xeb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc77e16e12951a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: aceb0d5c-e3d4-11e0-a420-50e54940e88b

Thoughts?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was just about to sign off when I got the notification of your post.
IF ALL YOU HAVE INSTALLED is Windows 7 and the drivers, and NOT any programs, then you clearly have either a driver porblem or a hardware problem.

As you said in your closing post before you decided to proceed with the clean install that the HD is Western Digital, the checking of that using the Western Digital tool will not be difficult.

However in view of the fact it is not that old, I think you should proceed firstly with a ram check.
As you have two sticks of ram I think, remove one of them, taking the usual anti-static precautions and try again, then change them over so that you are using the other stick.
Remembering of course to populate the slot necessary for the system to boot.
Normally the one nearest to the processor or if a dual core and you are going to run in single core, your are best referring to your motherboard manual

Alternatively use MEMTEST.
Please see my post 39 on this thread.
http://www.geekstogo...on/page__st__30

Returning to the all that is installed are the drivers.
I would examine your graphics driver and your network driver.
If the graphics driver is Nvidia and you have recently accepted an update for it, I would go back to the Nvidia site and install a previous one.
Do you mean you have installed the drivers AFRESH after the install of the O/S.

If you have a Nvidia N Force Ethernet driver see this
http://forums.nvidia...c=100637&st=120

I think it going to be a question of examining the hardware, I will post again tomorrow with some more tests and then the drivers- If I remember correctly this is a 64 bit operating system - is it not - please ensure that you have not installed a 32 bit driver

One thought before I go, you haven`t overclocked have you.
If so, altering ram timings and voltages etc in the BIOS and general overclocking can very easily be the cause.
Sorry I cannot spend more time now, but it is 0046 hrs.
Goodnight.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 September 2011 - 06:13 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Currently at work but will check a few things when I get home... one note: In my haste to test things out I was trying to open IE before updating Windows... I then went and got Windows updates current and did not have a recurrence. I am going to run the memtest and the diagnostic on the HD.

Yes, it is a 64 bit system... I know the graphics driver I have is 64 bit, as far as the chipset drivers etc I am not sure, I used the drivers that came with the MB (Gigabyte 6). When I looked at their website for potential updates I didnt see any differentiation in drivers- no 32 version or 64 version, just 1 version.

Right now I am slowly installing things, slowly as in maybe 1 thing a day and waiting to see if there is any issue, I am also creating a fresh restore point before each thing I install... so far so good, though all I've put on is Office, Adobe Reader, and Google Chrome.

I am also staying away from AVG- I cant help feeling like it was contributing to the issue.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
So here we go again... it was smooth sailing till today, Media Center suddenly wont launch- get appcrash when it tries. Then tried to open device viewer to get exact model# for my HD and it crashed... here are the logs:

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd053
Faulting module name: Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ni.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b8bc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001b5624
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

Faulting application name: DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc52c
Faulting module name: fdPnp.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdf09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000051ac
Faulting process id: 0x3fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7ad7dfa123f0
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\fdPnp.dll
Report Id: 1e457807-e6cb-11e0-93fa-50e54940e88b

I did D/L the Western Digital HD diagnostic and ran an extended scan- no errors found. I'm going to run the memory test overnight tonight... this is starting to get old! Any other ideas on things I should try or look at?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I'm going to run the memory test overnight tonight

I would see the instructions in my previous post.

You could also run WMD, but I would also run memtest, especially if the WMD does NOT show any errors.
http://www.sevenforu...stics-tool.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2011 - 05:11 AM.