Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7- cant install ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I TB shows as 931GB
Do not worry it is normal

1Tb in common parlance is 1000Gb.
Windows see 1GB as 1024MB
The drive manufacturer is counting what constitutes a TB in a different way than Windows does, using a factor of 1000 instead of 1024.
Therefore 1TB in bytes is
1,000,000,000,000 bytes
/ 1024 = 976,562,500 kB
/ 1024 = 953,674 MB
/ 1024 = 931 GB

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Mac- that makes sense... I think what threw me off was I remember seeing something like 980GB when installing on the old drive... anyway, heres where I am.

The install seemed to go well, I am going VERY slowly in installing devices and drivers and checking things which previously didnt work in between each step. So far, I have:

Installed Windows
Installed Drivers
Installed MS Security Essentials
Installed Nvidia Driver Suite 280.26
Installed Google Chrome

I have been able to open everything that I was unable to open before. Have had no APPCrash errors as yet. I have seen some errors in the event log at start-up, most relate to time-stamps and certificates being expired, I have not seen any performance effects, they just show up in the event log. I will post a couple of them this evening. My question is, are some errors normal or should there be absolutely none?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the evidence avilable at the moment the time stamp and certificate is nothing to worry about it is simply Windows 7 warning you that the driver etc no longer has a Microsoft Certified driver certficate.
I have even read that the update of the definitions for MSE has produced the same error.
I am reasonably certain this will prove to be the case.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 October 2011 - 04:13 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
That makes me feel better... here are the 2 errors I am seeing at start-up, again- no performance change, just the event log:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

That second one appears 10 or 11 times in a row.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The first event log you list is according to what I have read AND it is important for you to KNOW that I have NO direct experience of this report.
It appears that it is caused by a permissions error in Windows Mangement Instrumentation.

One of the solutions is to install SP1, but if I am correct without going back through the thread I seem to remember that you already have that.

It appears that all Microsoft articles on this issue assure persons that the report may be safely ignored.
HOWEVER there have been some instances where this has occurred and developed to result in an increasing number of error logs.

I seem to remember, and again I do not have the time now to read all the thread again, that you had this error reported, before the install on the NEW hard drive.

The definitve opinion - which one presumes must always be Microsoft a\ppears to be either if applicable the SP1 update.
OR if already done this
http://support.micro....com/kb/2545227

I am sorry that I cannot provide you with a more definite answer.
After all the work YOU have done, with all that has gone before and NOW the new hard drive, I really do wish that I could say what is the EXACT cause and what is the EXACT CORRECT approach.
Unfortunately I cannot.

Perhaps if the link suggestion does not work the next step lies in the Microsoft article - at the Did this Fix the problem paragraph

Please do not think that the above line means I am leaving you wkith Microsoft. It does NOT.
I am remaining with you for as long as it takes.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 October 2011 - 04:57 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I do have SP1, I read the link yo posted... so would your advice be to ignore it or try to fix it? If trying to fix it would you recommend using the MS tool or doing the manual fix?

I guess what I'm asking is: you said there have been some reports where this error has led to increasing error reports. Would the fix eliminate that possibility or just stop the error from posting in the event log?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The FixIt is simply an automatic way of altering that registry key.. I would run the Fixit. So much easier and eliminates the chance however slight of an error.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ran the Fix-It tool and things seem to be going well, only 1 error on 2 restarts... posting it only because I dont recognize it:

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft security client\MSESysprep.dll" on line 10. The element imaging appears as a child of element urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly which is not supported by this version of Windows.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Regarding the second para of your post

Firstly, I must admit that I have no idea.
However research has produced this

Please see this the whole 8 pages are regarding that event .
http://answers.micro...8c-a52fa0614f97

There are a number of possible solutions suggested and a number of possible causes put forward.
Unfortunately there is NOT a definitve answer.

One possible cause is another anti-virus installed.
To eliminate that possibility I presume that when you installed this time, you did not install NORTON, that came with bundled software, with the motherboard.

Another possible cause is that the latest version Of Micrsoft Visual C should ne installed, as the latest update to MSE conflicts with other than the latest version of Visual C.
Further research into that has produced this, so maybe there is a connection
http://en.wikipedia....y-side_assembly

The offered solution for this is on the 5th post on page 4 of the link to answers microsoft com above.

Another suggestion is that it is the recent update to MSE that has caused it. When people have gone back to the earlier MSE the error has ceased. I cannot see that as a viable solution, as of course the virus and spyware defintions would also be outdated.

WHAT IS COMMON throughout the 8 pages is the opinion that it may be safely ignored.
If there is another offering from Microsoft regarding the error I cannot find it.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Considering the complexity of the issue and the fact that the consensus is that it can be ignored, I think I will ignore it. At this point I'm starting to feel like things are working properly. I still have a few things left to reinstall- iTunes, printer, etc... will do those slowly over next couple days and post if there are any issues. As of today- no errors reported so far for the day!

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Just as a (hopefully) final post I figured I'd update that everything seems to be normal... printer has been installed and is working normally, iTunes working normally... no errors other than the periodic MSE error which I'm ignoring.

Thank you so much for the help, the time spent and advice was immeasurably helpful. Is there anything I can do for you, some type of kudos or reccomendation I can make about the excellent help you offered?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am so pleased for you.

You will have noticed towards the end of the tread that some of my posts said, "It has been suggested"
This was help I received from other staff members.
I say other, actually you may have noticed I am on an apprenticeship.

Been messing around with computers since the days of Dos and the earliest Windows, when a 40Mb HDD was considered large.

Your appreciation is due reward.
Good luck.
Macboatmaster

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 October 2011 - 04:34 PM.