Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc is slow /unresponsive scripts error.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
yes, it is faster. Firefox is a little off i think, for some reason adobe flash plug in wont work in my firefox? But that may be part of another issue. It was there not long ago.

Edited by sicilian, 23 September 2011 - 10:46 AM.

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Update Flash

The latest version of the Flash plugin should perform better and crash less often. To check if Flash is up to date, visit Mozilla's Plugin Check page. If it says that Flash needs to be updated, install the latest version manually using the steps below.
  • Go to the Flash Player download page at Adobe.com and download the Flash installer.
  • At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (File menu in Windows XP) and then click Exit.
  • Open the file you downloaded (i.e. install_flash_player.exe), then follow the installer's instructions.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
well, i tried the steps, but no luck. The 1st link called "plug in check" didnt show adobe flash. So i clicked on the download page link, and all seemed to download, however, after restarting the pc. It doesnt show up, in the Add ons, or extensions. Not sure which one it shows up in. Checked both, and the only thing close is shockwave flash?

Oh, i dont know what u mean by this
2.At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (File menu in Windows XP) and then click Exit.

I tried the download link with both IE, and Firefox, and downloaded. But i dont see any firefox buttons, or the word firefox in the file menu for Windows xp.

Im getting certificate warnings, on both ie, and FF, when i play my game on Facebook. Dont know what thats about, or if its related.

Edited > Well, Ive been reading up alot. I think since my IE8 was messed up, firefox may have been updated during this time, also messing up FireFox. How bad is my IE8? I know i messed that update up, by hitting cancel a few sec. into it. But when i clicked the help tab after reboot, and then about internet expl... it showed me as having IE8.

Edited by sicilian, 23 September 2011 - 04:35 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Let's see in what condition is your system.

From the Start menu open your Computer
You should see something like this:

Posted Image

Right click your system partition (usually C) and select Properties

Posted Image

Select Tools tab and then Check now...
The second window will popup
Ensure you have ticks in both boxes
Then click Start
Windows will schedule it for the next boot
Reboot

Once that has completed:

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
When the prompt opens type the following bolded text and press enter

sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

On completion reboot

Let me know how it goes.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I cannot run the command prompt as administrator. Says unknown user name and/or password? Current user is the only other option? As of right now, its set to reboot to check drives for errors

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 09:34 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please run Command Prompt normally.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
well, i copy/pasted sfc /scannow, and hit enter and got a message. See attachment. If i click cancel, another pop up says "if you cancel, windows might require you to inser a cd later. Are you sure you want to skip this file?

seems like im stuck with this pop up.

Attached Thumbnails

• command prompt error.png

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 10:02 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
It looks like Dllcache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason and you are prompted for the XP CD - so your computer can get a clean copy! We will need original Windows XP CD.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ok, I have the original windows xp professional cd, and pretty nervous right now, LOL. Do i put it in and hit retry? Not familiar with this cd, or whats gonna pop up when i put it in.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 10:40 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Do not need to be. :) Insert it CD/DVD and click on Retry button. Or if you already closed Windows File Protection repeat sfc /scannow part.

Advertisements

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
okay inserted the disk, and it auto. started runnin the windows file protection > please wait while windows verifies all protected window files are intact and in their original versions. Waiting for completion. Thank You Render for your time on this.. Its very much appreciated.

I hope it didnt freeze. Seems like it stopped halfway through.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
You are welcome.

On completion of that step:

• Please download attachment cbs-log.zip to your desktop. Attached File  cbs-log.zip   216bytes   248 downloads
  • UnZip it to your desktop.
  • Double click on cbs-log.bat icon.
  • CBS.log file will be on your desktop.
  • Please upload that file here and post a link to it in your next reply.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
okay i think it froze up. It hasnt moved now for over 5 min. In your last reply you say in completion of that step. If and when the scan stops/finishes, i have to reboot first? Then download attachment cbs-log.zip?

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 11:04 AM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please be patient and wait a little more. Is hard disk active? Can you hear it working?

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
i am hearing some very quiet ticking, once in a while. Seems like something is goin on, but no movement yet.

Tiny movement... :)

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 11:20 AM.