Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc is slow /unresponsive scripts error.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
It seems to be a little faster, at the start. But is still unresponsive from what i checked into. I still cant download any of your links from this thread. If i click any of your links to download it to my desktop, it brings me to a blank page. At the top of the page i get the drop down security warning that IE blocked the site from downloading.... then if i right click the drop down for my options, i click download and it wont download, i just get the blank page, and nothing happens. The only thing different is the speed at the start up, but then i get into using applications, or links and slows down again.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. We will do system repair. Don't worry system repair won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system!
Please, have your Windows XP CD-KEY ready.

• Boot from your Windows XP CD. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

NOTE: If computer does not boot from CD you must change device boot order in BIOS. Read here for more information.

• A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD.
  • When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

Posted Image

• When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.

Posted Image

• Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.
  • Press the R key.

Posted Image

• Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings.
  • Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

Let me know results.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Windows XP CD-KEY ready > just not sure what this is. Is this Possibly a sticker with a long code called "product key"

Okay pretty sure your talking bout that sticker, i saved and stuck it to my istallation booklet. Im gonna start your instructions.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 02:43 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Yes. Something like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX where X is number or letter.

Posted Image

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
forgot to put disk in now when i restarted my pc, its doing that check on reboot, as i mentioned earlier... Just a blue screen doing its checking i think?
Wondering what i do before it stops, or just let it go?

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Put your Windows XP CD in DVD/CD drive and stop disk checking. Then restart and follow instructions above.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
set up cannot copy the file of pro_seg5.swf -

To retry press enter > if your installing from cd make sure the windows xp cd is in the cd rom drive

to skip file press esc, Caution if you skip this file windows xp may not work properly

NOt good news, :) i can get a picture if needed?

Im on another pc

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 03:18 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Usually copy errors are a symptom of either bad media/drive or RAM.

As to what the file is it's actually a file called segment5.swf which is part of the XP tour a flash based intro/help for XP not critical at all. So skip it.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
okay so i could have a bad media/drive or ram? Ram is memory, and what media/drive? I skipped and have continued. THe pc is a custom build from bout 3 yrs ago, hate to see anything bad there. :)

schdule system drive check again on reboot? do i just hit the button to shut down on my hard drive...

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 03:28 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Media is Windows XP setup CD. Drive is DVD or CD device.

Advertisements

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
okay, really wish i rebooted, cuz now im getting that scheduled disk check again, you had me do, lol. Do i hard reboot, HIt button on drive to shut down? After running the cd it automatically rebooted so im stuck now, theres no stopping it?

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 03:36 PM.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
hard reboot, was able to continue with set up for now. Was able to press any key to cancel, but didnt work the 1st time.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 03:41 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please let it run.

sicilian

sicilian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Render, im not sure what you want me to run? The schedule disk check has been canceled letting the windows install. This scheduled disk check had me boggled, but its gone now.

Edited by sicilian, 24 September 2011 - 03:49 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
My answer refers to your question here. I didn't saw your next reply. But it's OK. Let me know when repair will finish.