Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Use Anything Powered by Google

• Please log in to reply

Josh Lira

Josh Lira

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't know if it is a trojan or what, but I am not able to access anything on my computer that has to do with google. At first I thought it was just a firefox problem, but even on different browsers, such as Internet Explorer, I still can't search using google, or use gmail. I can browse using different ssearch engines on the browsers. It seems yahoo and bing are messed up too. I can type websites into the url bar on firefox, like youtube.com, as long as it will send me straight there, instead of having to go through goole search.
I've done things like checking firewall settings, making sure my firefox settings were set to "no proxy", and other various things that came up when I tried searching for a solution, but I'm not too great on the technical stuff so. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Josh Lira,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

What happens when you try to search google?

Are you being re-directed to sites you are not searching for? Does the same happen when you search in Bing and Yahoo?

Let me know.

Donna

Josh Lira

Josh Lira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No the search just doesn't go through, as if I have no internet connection I guess would be the best way to describe it. I attached the exact message it gives me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Google Firefox search.jpg

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Click on Tools > Clear Recent History... in the Firefox Browser Menu Bar at the top. Try to connect.

If that doesn't work:

Try to connect to Google with IE? If you can, this will eliminate not only a Windows issue but also we can focus on Firefox as the culprit.

Also, reboot your computer and as the computer is rebooting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to navigate to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press your Enter key. Try to connect to Google. Let me know what happens.

Edited by DonnaB, 18 September 2011 - 05:11 PM.

Josh Lira

Josh Lira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have tried clearing the history, as well as the cookies and cache, but none of those seemed to help.

Sorry but google doesn't work on IE either.

I tried the safe mode with networking, and google (and bing and yahoo) worked!
I did try to pull up gmail, but it would not connect on Firefox or IE. I'll attach the messages I get from both browsers.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Gmail error message on IE.jpg
  • Gmail error message on Firefox.jpg

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I tried the safe mode with networking, and google (and bing and yahoo) worked!

The reason I asked you to boot into Safe Mode with Networking was to eliminate the possibility of a program causing the issue. Most likely a Security Program such as Anti Virus, Firewall, or even Parental Controls can cause this.

Are there any Parental type controls on your computer?

If not, next we need to focus on your Anti Virus or Firewall.

What Anti Virus and Firewall is installed on this computer?

Also, what is your OS (Operating System)?

EDIT: Please do not surf around in Safe Mode with Networking, your Anti Virus and Firewall will not be enabled and you are completely unprotected.

Edited by DonnaB, 19 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.

Josh Lira

Josh Lira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
-There are no parental controls on here.

-Anti Virus - I have Avira AntiVir Personal
-Firewall - Not sure exactly, but I guess it'd just be "Windows Firewall"? It's the only one that pulls up when I search Firewall from the starrt menu.

-OS is Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit

Thanks, Josh

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Josh,

Let's try disabling Avira AntiVir Personal to see if an update could have caused this. Here's how.

Please navigate to the system tray on the bottom right hand corner and look for an open white umbrella on red background.
  • right click it-> untick the option AntiVir Guard enable.
  • You should now see a closed, white umbrella on a red background.

This should successfully disable the AntiVir Guard.

Now, in normal mode try to use the search engines and connect to gmail.

Please do not attempt to open your email or browse the internet while your AV is disabled. At this time we're just trouble shooting to find the cause. Please re-enable your AV after this trouble shooting technique is complete. Take note of the results and post in your next reply.

If the above is not successful, please perform a power cycle with your modem and/or modem and router. If you are unsure how to do this, please provide some information on how you are connected to the Internet. Such as:

Cable modem,

cable modem + router,

DSL modem, etc.

Let me know the results of the above.

:)

Edited by DonnaB, 20 September 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Josh Lira

Josh Lira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I disabled Avira, but unfortunately I still got the same error messages as before when running on normal mode.

-I am not sure how to do a power cycle.
I am connected to the internet with DSL modem (Bellsouth) with a Belkin wireless router

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Josh,

Instead of performing a power cycle I'm going to guide you to the removal forum because there is a possibilty that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums.

I'd like to suggest that you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. Please read the page thoroughly and begin with Step #2 in the guide, and continue with Steps 3, 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please DO NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here.

Good luck!

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 21 September 2011 - 06:18 PM.