Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems reformatting xp

• Please log in to reply

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Having problems booting up computer. Disk read error, Ctl, alt, delete..... Repeat with no change. Put the restore cd in and it's been 8 1/2 hrs and only 1% complete. Estimated time: get this one....614 hours!!! WTH

Why is this happening? Does this mean my computer is basically shot or what?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi dustbegone1xyz
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP if it is provide the model name or series number.

It is possible that your HDD has failed, the data transfer ribbon is not right or the restore disk is the cause (was the disk provided with the computer) provide the requested details so that the appropriate guidance can be offered.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi dustbegone1xyz
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP if it is provide the model name or series number.

It is possible that your HDD has failed, the data transfer ribbon is not right or the restore disk is the cause (was the disk provided with the computer) provide the requested details so that the appropriate guidance can be offered.

It is an emachine desktop. Model T3256. (old, I know). And I am using the disk that came with it.

I checked progress this morning and after 20 hours I am 2% complete.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Before going any further I would suggest running the manufacturers drive diagnostics. An old computer usually has a small hard drive. It should be done.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use Burncdcc Link is in my signature below

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool. If you are unsure of the drive manufacturer then you can try seagate diagnostics. It sometimes works on other manufacturers. Hitachi diagnostics is also known to work on Toshiba drives.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can I ask why you wish to format in the first place, where you having problems and did you set the boot sequence as described below;
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS;
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

See if the guide below is of any assistance, a repair installation may be achievable if that is acceptable to you.

Restoring XP to its original state is dependent on how XP was installed.

If XP came Pre-installed from a computer OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] with the option to:

•Restore from a recovery procedure you can select from the boot up menu that will allow either a selective restore, or a format and restore to shipped state.
Warning!
Because some restore procedures completely wipe out the entire hard drive and delete added partitions and the data on them. If you only have the option to restore to shipped state, make sure you backup your important data, contacts, photos, anything that cannot be restored from other media locations to a location not on the current hard drive. Do not backup to another partition created by third party software on the original hard drive.

•You can restore by booting from the OEM restore CD disk media included with the system. As in the above recovery procedure, it can sometimes allow selective restore or format and restore to original shipped state.

Same Warning applies from above.

•Some OEM's include along with restore media to restore back to original shipped state; a BIOS locked XP CD capable of loading the Recovery Console, or doing a Clean install or a Repair Install.

This CD can also be used to slipstream Service Packs into original XP CD. In some instances this may require activation by phone. If phone call activation is required tell the activation center you upgraded your computer to the service pack with a slipstreamed OEM XP CD supplied by the vendor.
•The OEM vendor is only obligated to provide a means of restoring to original shipped state. The OEM has the choice of how to provide this restore procedure.
Consult your documentation shipped with the computer, OEM specific Help files from Start> Help and Support or the OEM web site.

Microsoft does not mandate any specific method; it is decided by the OEM.

•Some OEM's give instructions on how to burn the XP setup files to a CD. Look in the manual included with the computer or in a special OEM Help and Support folder.

Note: Also look for the folders i386 or Options as they will contain the files needed to create a bootable XP CD. You can find instructions on creating a bootable CD from the files in i386 or options from this web site.

http://bink.nu/

Purchased Retail or OEM with hardware:
If you purchased the retail or OEM version you will have the option to restore by doing a Repair InstallorClean Install

Acknowledgement to the author of the above information Michael Stevens MS-MVP 2001-2007

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Can I stop the process if it's started? And if so, how?

I couldn't get the computer to boot up. My son said he tried using the f8 or 6 (I can't remember)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can I stop the process if it's started? And if so, how?

Not normally recommended but may be necessary in extreme cases, you have to weigh up the Pros and Cons, what % has the progress reached, the length of time it has taken and the risk to other components through being left under duress for so long this is as opposed to the cost of a replacement HDD.
You can shut the computer down by using the on/off switch on the PSU, rear of the PC (if present) or by pressing and holding down the reset or power button on the front.

I couldn't get the computer to boot up. My son said he tried using the f8 or 6 (I can't remember)

To access the BIOS try;
•Press Tab or Del while the eMachine logo displays on screen.
•Other eMachine computers may use F2 to enter BIOS.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I went to check on progress and there was a box w/ Question:
Output A:\ghosterr.txt yes / no
I picked yes and it gave me internal error 27049
Then gave me a screen saying system restore complete.

UGH...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Strange, what is the status of the PC now, can you please re-read post #5 and come back to me with an update and in particular if there was a specific reason why you wish to format the HDD!

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
The computer is turned off. It basically aborted. I went that route because I couldn't get the computer to boot up. First it didn't want to shut down. Then it worked fine. The next time I tried to use it the computer wouldn't boot I just got disk read error telling me to use Ctl, alt, delete. I would try it and get the same thing. Tried several times.

I will go back and start over with the info posted here.

Advertisements

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I am in BIOS/CMOS, advanced area but see no boot sequence or boot options. My choices:
CPU multiplier
Plug/play
Reset config. Data
Onboard video
Primary video
PS/2 mouse
Local bus IDE adapter
Set supervisor password
User password
Onboard device configuration
I/O device configuration

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I am not familiar with all BIOS set-ups and some are different than others, can you highlight the
Onboard device configuration selection possibly using the page up/down or arrow keys, if this is the boot order it needs to be changed as described in post #5, some BIOS use the Enter key to change the settings and some use the space bar, let me know how this goes.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I am not familiar with all BIOS set-ups and some are different than others, can you highlight the
Onboard device configuration selection possibly using the page up/down or arrow keys, if this is the boot order it needs to be changed as described in post #5, some BIOS use the Enter key to change the settings and some use the space bar, let me know how this goes.

I don't think this is the boot order my choices are:
Onchip USB controller
MAC LAN
Audio codec

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try I/O device configuration then, I`m off to research emachines set-up :)

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
There a BOOT tab. If I choose that instead of advanced my choices are:
Boot-time diagnostic screen
Quick boot
Boot device priority