Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems reformatting xp

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Highlight Boot device priority please, this should then allow you to change it to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, if it does do not to forget to save the settings before you exit.

Advertisements

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Highlight Boot device priority please, this should then allow you to change it to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, if it does do not to forget to save the settings before you exit.

I have first boot CDROM
Second hard disk
Third is hard disk

Saved and exit got black screen saying NTLDR missing press CPR, alt, del to restart
I do that and I get that error again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
When you are in the BIOS is the present HDD detected, it will be listed something like WD160**** (Western Digital)etc
If it is not possible for you to borrow an OS installation disk then checking that the HDD is properly connected to the MB and that the data transfer ribbon is not damaged is my next suggestion as anything else may incur a cost.
Removing the HDD and either placing it in another PC as a second (slave) drive or an external USB HDD enclosure to see if it is detected is another option.
The problem is that the disk that you are attempting to use could be the issue and not the HDD but as the disk is an OEM type you cannot place it in just any machine to see if it is bad so establishing whether the HDD is good or bad is the best option.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
We found out that the directory was shot. Ended up buying a new computer. But thanks for your efforts. I appreciate it!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Thank you for letting us know, I am sorry we could not resolve the issue but enjoy the new PC :)