Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp desktop green blinking light

• Please log in to reply

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi there,my computer wont boot up,just a green blinking light,but when i disconnect the 24 pin lead from the mother board the green light stops blinking and stays green,when i plug the 24 pin lead back into the mother board the computer boots up ok.When the computer is switched off overnight the green blinking light returns.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi stellabelly :) sorry to hear you are having problems with your PC.
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.
My first suspicion is a flaky PSU provide us with the requested details and it may help shed more light on the possible cause.

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The computer i am having problems with is a desktop compaq presario sr1000,product: sr1340uk,serial number czb5090t4h

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Do you have or can you borrow a known good PSU that you can try as I strongly suspect that it is the cause of the issue, the stock PSU on that machine is a generic 300W (also possibly 6 years old) type and these are often not of the best quality to keep build costs down, the other option is to have the present PSU tested by a suitably qualified person who has the correct equipment, Digerati offers a good explanation on PSUs see post #2 http://www.geekstogo...-a-psu-problem/
For convenience I have provided a link to the PC, is this the correct machine; http://h10025.www1.h...&product=454824

NB: Can you confirm that you are not plugging or unplugging connections whilst the power is on.

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou for your information phillpower2,yes that is the correct machine,but before i try another psu there is another problem,the computer boots up with a bleeping noise with nothing showing on the screen,is the problem still the psu or the motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Dependant on the amount and pattern of the beeps, see the attached link for the various BIOS beep codes, if you know your BIOS manufacturer look for the pattern that is the same as your error beeps; http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml
As you have no display one may think that the video card had failed but unfortunately if the PSU is not putting out enough power you will not get a display.
Check out the beep codes and post back but I have a feeling you may have to open the case and check out the video card, I will help you with this if required.

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi phillpower2,dont know bios manufacturer but the computer bleeps every 3 seconds if you can help me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Would this description cover it, • 1 Continuous Beep or Non-stop short Beeps ?Bad Power Supply
See below for how you can check out the internal components of your PC safely;
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the same with the Ram sticks.
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold them still and finally make sure that all connections are secure and avoid upending the can as fluid can be emitted.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Removed video card and ram sticks and cleaned out the dust,connected power and the green blinking light had returned,so disconnected 24 pin lead to mother board while power still connected,green power light then stop blinking and reconnected 24 pin lead to mother board,and the computer booted up with no bleeping noise.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

,so disconnected 24 pin lead to mother board while power still connected,green power light then stop blinking and reconnected 24 pin lead to

I asked in post #4;

NB: Can you confirm that you are not plugging or unplugging connections whilst the power is on.

You should never connect or disconnect any power to a computer whilst it is live, at best you can fry the system at worst you can fry yourself.
This again suggests a power issue be it the PSU itself (most likely) or the 24 pin connection (less likely).
If the issue happens again with all power disconnected please closely inspect the 24 pin plug from the PSU and the 24 pin socket on the MB, any signs of damage, loose MB socket or wires in the 24 pin plug.

Advertisements

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi phillpower,thankyou for your information,yes i was plugging connection while the power is still on,but like you said i think the problem is the psu because the computer will boot up if the psu is in standby mode(green light stays on),but if you turn off the computer at the wall sockets the psu from a cold start,after many hours,will result back to the blinking green light.Would you suggest leaving the computer always on standby mode,or replace psu.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Would you suggest leaving the computer always on standby mode,or replace psu.

Without a doubt replace the PSU, if it is faulty it can pop at any moment and take the rest of your system with it.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :)

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hi phillpower2 here is the screenshot.speedfan.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Couple of the readings are off there namely the non existent +5V, the +12V reading 10V and the temp readings.
Download and run HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html again post a screenshot, feel free to uninstall Speedfan now.

stellabelly

stellabelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi phillpower2 here is the screenshot.cpuid.JPG