Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy scrolling problem with every browser...and even documents!

• Please log in to reply

symigem

symigem

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello All. I have an Acer laptop with Vista. Its about 3yrs old...but I generally take fairly good care of it. Unfortunately one of my girls knocked over something allllll over the keyboard....I reacted like lightening...and I saved it and its survived remarkably well (seeing as I'm typing on it) and I managed to get every last drop off it. But I don't know if this current problem is due to that...which Im guessing I have to deal with then seeing as its a laptop and I can't get a new keyboard for it. Or whether in the cleanup I maybe hit a strange combo of keys and set off something that can be undone? Basically almost everyday...but not for the whole day...the page will just scroll by itself at almost instant speed down to the bottom of the page. Regardless of the browser...Even in programs and Office etc. Restarting helps...but does not stop. And the only thing I can do to stop it is palm the keyboard...(gently) and sometimes it stops instantly and sometimes I really have to run my hand over the keys a couple of times to get it to stop....which I obviously really don't like doing....I feel like I'm one of those idiots who hit the screen when it freezes...like that'll help! lol Anyway...I was wondering if I activated some strange combo of keys or maybe that in the coffee incident I damaged the 'page down' button or something.....?

Thoughts? thankyou for any help! :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check to see if you have the scroll lock set to on. On my Acer Aspire its Fn and the F12 key to turn it on or off. Keyboards can be replaced but it's a PITA to do because of the type of ribbon cable used on most laptops. Have you tried using a USB mouse to see if the problem goes away? It could also be that your touchpad got wet and shorted out. It may dry out and start working and if not it can be replaced also. Just finding the parts is the problem. I search all over Ebay and craigs list for dead laptops for repair parts.

SRX660