Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit, 32 bit and 16 bit

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I am upgrading from my Windows XP SP3 and Pentium 4 machine. I currently run some old 16 bit software. (When viruses goof up Windows even in SafeMode,I can only run my AVIRA anti-virus from the very old 16 bit Norton Commander program.)

I believe that most all 32 bit software will run on 64 bit Windows7, but I was told that 16 bit code will NOT run on 64 bit Windows7 and any 32 bit software that has some 16 bit code will also not run. IS THIS CORRECT?

If so, is there any free software out there that will let me run the old stuff on Windows7? or is there another solution?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends on the software.
The vast majority of 32-bit software will run on a 64-bit operating system.
However 16-bit software will not run on 64-bit Windows, however if they are DOS programs you can use a virtual DOS machine, of if you have 7 Professional or Ultimate, the downloadable XP Mode is a virtual machine that should be able to do it.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Neil,

Am I correct to conclude that I must get 7 Professional and not 7 Home to run 16 bit programs or 32 bit programs that have a 16 bit module?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Neil,

Am I correct to conclude that I must get 7 Professional and not 7 Home to run 16 bit programs or 32 bit programs that have a 16 bit module?

The version of Windows (Home, Professional or Ultimate) is irrelevant.
The bit version is more important - a 64-bit operating system has no 16-bit support at all. If your program(s) work in Windows 7 at all and are 16-bit you will need a 32-bit copy of 7.
The Virtual PC download is only available for 7 Professional and Ultimate, but any other virtual machine should also work on Home Premium.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 October 2011 - 03:34 PM.