Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot issues. Constant fast beeping

• Please log in to reply

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm going to try using a program I found called UBCDWinV360.exe, put it on a stick, go into dos mode with the XP disk, then see if that can fix the issues.

I'm not ready to give up just yet :)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Advertisements

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, I read that and tried everything he said exactly. Still the same issue. I've fixed many computers in my days and have never had this kind of issue.

When I did copy the disk, it copied everything, including the problems. I'm hoping though that these problems can now be corrected now that the problems are on a fully functional disk.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If that CD is the original HP Compaq CD it is very likely that it does not have the repair option.
A lot of OEM CD`s did not.(Original Equipment Manufacturer)

If it is a Microsoft retail XP CD, then there may be the reason I have outlined.
Your other option is this

Apparently your Windows installation is being seen as too corrupt to repair. The options listed indicate that the repair feature is on the disk, though.

From where you are now, we can do a parallel installation without data loss. This will install a second operating system into a new directory on the same partition. Once that's running, it's a simple task to get to your data files. Then we can try to get the old operating system running using files from the new one, or we can just remove the borked operating system completely.

I'll post the instructions for you. You are at the point where the red text is...you can continue on from there. If any of the presented options differ from those shown in the instructions, let me know.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.
POSTED WITH DUE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT to Wannabe1

HOWEVER HAVE YOU EXPLORED THE ADVICE offered to you by skifxr

NB I am signing off in 15 minutes so if you have any immediate questions please post them within that time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 September 2011 - 06:47 PM.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I did not make the win cd, nor know exactly how to do what he suggested. I guess I could try that option.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do let us know how you progress.
Providing the personal data is in an accessible file condition state, you will be able to move eveything over to the new installation.
NOTE the caution regarding the different title for the windows installation and the different user name.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I should probably mention something very odd. If going into c prompt using the XP disk, I click dir to view files and many filename characters are missing from both the hard drive and even cd rom. I'm seeing *directory names* like ------n--d and --r------

Something seems really odd with that. It may be a clue...

Edited by programmer4life, 18 September 2011 - 06:53 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This may be off the wall but have you checked for a stuck key on the keyboard? I just went through a very similar problem a few days ago and after 3 hours of pulling my hair out I found a key that was jammed down on the keyboard.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After eliminating the keyboard, as suggested by Ztruker I would if possible run this and see if it provides any clues as to something amiss.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

and then I would test your ram.
The best test is if it has two sticks of ram is to take one out and test with just the one and then change them over.
Always of course test with the one stick in the first slot that must be populated for the computer to boot and load Windows.
Here is the guide to running Memtest
http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

and here are the basic instructions
1. http://www.memtest.o...6+-4.20.iso.zip
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-4.20iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

Further to the above you will still be able to run Memtest, as that CD will be bootable.
You will have to forget sppedfan for the time being, but if you can get nto BIOS setup, check your temperatures there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 September 2011 - 10:25 AM.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you all very much for all the help. After failing to get it to boot, I've given up and re-installed a fresh copy of Win XP. The lady wasn't happy she did not have her registered software anymore, but that's life. She will need to contact the software companies and request the software.

I will be sure to keep all this valuable information handy if I ever run into a similar issue.

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting the conclusion.
I am just sorry that we could not resolve the issue for you.

Advertisements

fitster

fitster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just had to ferret out this same problem, long constant beep after post but won't load XP.
It's just confused for whatever reason, hit F1 (not F2)and tell it to use your previous configuration. Done.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Tell this lady to invest in an external hard drive and start doing image backups. That would have resolved this quickly and without loss of data or software.