Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated Successful Installations of Windows Update KB2556532

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Thanks for the update!

What next? I will be unable to do any further work for the next week and a half (until October 29th at the earliest) after tomorrow night here in the US, as I have obligations away from my home and home office from 20 October until 28 October at least.

Hopefully we will have completed the Malware removal process, however I have no problem leaving this topic open as requested. Anyway lets proceed as follows shall we...

Windows 7 - System File Checker:

You may require your Windows 7 DVD for the below. If prompted insert the Windows 7 DVD into the Optical Drive.

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb).
  • Click on All Programs >> Accessories
  • Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
  • At the Command Prompt C:\Windows\System32> type in the following exactly:
  • CD C:\
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key, then type in the following exactly:
  • sfc /scannow
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key.
Note: This may take awhile to finish. When completed close the Administrator Command Prompt window, via typing Exit then depress the Enter/Return key.

New Java Installation:

Note:- This is for the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer only.

• Click here to visit Java's website.
  • Scroll down to Java SE 7. Click on Download JRE.
  • Check (tick) Java SE Runtime Environment 7 License Agreement box.
  • Click on jre-7-windows-i586.exe link next to Windows x86 Offline to download it and save this to a convenient location.
  • R-click on on jre-7-windows-i586.exe and select Run as Administrator to install Java.
If your son uses the Internet Explorer (64-bit) browser with Windows 7 and wants Java installed also, that will require a separate 64 bit installation as follows:-

New 64 bit Java Installation:

• Click here to visit Java's website.
  • Scroll down to Java SE 7. Click on Download JRE.
  • Check (tick) Java SE Runtime Environment 7 License Agreement box.
  • Click on jre-7-windows-x64.exe link next to Windows x64 to download it and save this to a convenient location.
  • Right-click on on jre-7-windows-x64.exe and select Run as Administrator to install Java.
Repair Windows Update:

Download and run this MS FixIt Tool, run it in normal(default) mode then check if Windows will update correctly now.

If not re-run the tool in aggressive mode and then try Windows Update again.

Next:

Let myself know when completed the above and if any further issues remaining, thank you.

Advertisements

rosejo

rosejo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
No go on the first step; I was able to get to the Administrator Command Prompt, but when I depressed the Enter/Return key after typing in "sfc /scannow" exactly, the computer returns "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

Now what?

rosejo

rosejo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Also, for some unknown reason, the Command Prompt Box is labelled zynga on the Quick Launch/Taskbar at the bottom of my screen, with a red background and what looks like a bulldog on it. This same program is permanently pinned to the Quick Launch/Taskbar on my son's computer. I have no idea what it is or how to remove it, if this is causing the problem.

Thanks, and let' stay it today as long as you can, please!!

Ray

rosejo

rosejo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I did a search on the ZyngaGames application on my son's computer in its registry. The application is rooted in many locations, and in multiple data sets in the registry. It is pervasive in my opinion, and it has no uninstall pathway that I can find. If this is the source of the Windows Update problem, my son will have to accept the consequences of its removal and I'm sure will be upset, as he loves to explore anything that is social gaming; [bleep] the vulnerabilities and potential for malware infections, he is not going to take the time to safeguard his system or my network. He's a bright boy, but he doesn't accept authority in any form unless it allows him free access to pursue what he wants to pursue whenever he wants to, without any responsibility for the consequences other than an occasional, "My bad" and no further assistance or cooperation in repairing the damage done.

I hope I am wrong, and I hope you forgive me for being upset at being concerned about the security and performance of all of the computers linked together on my home/office network. I cannot afford to allow systems under my control to become possible sources of malware distribution and/or vulnerabilities to all the computers either permanently affixed to my network or temporarily connected during customer support or system repair and diagnosis activities I might be performing on it.

Thanks again,

Ray

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Also, for some unknown reason, the Command Prompt Box is labelled zynga on the Quick Launch/Taskbar at the bottom of my screen, with a red background and what looks like a bulldog on it. This same program is permanently pinned to the Quick Launch/Taskbar on my son's computer. I have no idea what it is or how to remove it, if this is causing the problem.

Within the realms of possibility...

Thanks, and let' stay it today as long as you can, please!!

You're welcome! However you have to bare in mind I provide my support only on a volunteer basis in this forum and others. So I am not always online I'm afraid due to other commitments etc. Anyway in the event we have not completed the malware removal process with your son's machine as stated I have no problem leaving the topic open for your good self.

I did a search on the ZyngaGames application on my son's computer in its registry. The application is rooted in many locations, and in multiple data sets in the registry. It is pervasive in my opinion, and it has no uninstall pathway that I can find. If this is the source of the Windows Update problem, my son will have to accept the consequences of its removal and I'm sure will be upset, as he loves to explore anything that is social gaming; [bleep] the vulnerabilities and potential for malware infections, he is not going to take the time to safeguard his system or my network. He's a bright boy, but he doesn't accept authority in any form unless it allows him free access to pursue what he wants to pursue whenever he wants to, without any responsibility for the consequences other than an occasional, "My bad" and no further assistance or cooperation in repairing the damage done.

According to my research this is some form of Social Networking type game and personally from what I have read it is not something I would want on any of my machines.

You will have to ask your Son what he actually used to install it, these are the removal instructions.

Now in the event it is not completely removed we can use a specific tool to search for all zynga related entries and manually remove them via a custom OTL script.

I hope I am wrong, and I hope you forgive me for being upset at being concerned about the security and performance of all of the computers linked together on my home/office network. I cannot afford to allow systems under my control to become possible sources of malware distribution and/or vulnerabilities to all the computers either permanently affixed to my network or temporarily connected during customer support or system repair and diagnosis activities I might be performing on it.

I both appreciate and understand your concern. If you are using a Router it would be prudent to reset that and apply a new Admin password. Now providing none of your machines are set up for actual file sharing should not be a problem, if in the event they are that is not really my sphere of expertise if you will as primarily I only provide support for stand alone home use only machines...

So my best advice would be ensure all machines are up-to date security patch wise/service packs etc. Update and run a scan with both whatever Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware(spyware) software is installed on a regular basis. As it stands the malware we have been dealing with on your Son's machine has thus far not been the personal information retrieval sort say like a Backdoor Trojan and or Rootkit for example.

No go on the first step; I was able to get to the Administrator Command Prompt, but when I depressed the Enter/Return key after typing in "sfc /scannow" exactly, the computer returns "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

OK try the below please...

Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run... >> type in services.msc >> OK

In the services window that opens >> navigate to Windows Modules Installer and double click on it.

Now in the proprieties window that appears for Windows Modules Installer change the Startup type to Manual if it is disabled >> Apply >> OK

Close the services window. Then follow my instructions again in post #16.

rosejo

rosejo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
All the problems with Windows Update appear to have been fixed, Dakeyras! :) Thank you very much! I will have to keep the Zynga social gaming application on the machine for now, as my son is living at his mother's house now and may not be coming back to visit for a while. When he does, though, I will show him this topic and how long it took to remove all the malware infections. No other computer that I have and use here in my home has ever had this kind of problem, so the only difference can be his activities with his gaming and surfing in search of peculiar sites with his kind of dry, dark humor or slapstick rudeness. That and his penchant for visiting free download sites for music and games that may have some infected files which he then downloads and doesn't scan prior to execution.

Thank you again for your efforts and time. I appreciate it and have learned a lot in the process of fixing this problem.

Ray

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :yes:

All the problems with Windows Update appear to have been fixed, Dakeyras! :)

Good...

I will have to keep the Zynga social gaming application on the machine for now, as my son is living at his mother's house now and may not be coming back to visit for a while. When he does, though, I will show him this topic and how long it took to remove all the malware infections. No other computer that I have and use here in my home has ever had this kind of problem, so the only difference can be his activities with his gaming and surfing in search of peculiar sites with his kind of dry, dark humor or slapstick rudeness. That and his penchant for visiting free download sites for music and games that may have some infected files which he then downloads and doesn't scan prior to execution.

Fair play.

Thank you again for your efforts and time. I appreciate it and have learned a lot in the process of fixing this problem.

You're most welcome!

Next:

Congratulations the computer appears to be malware free!

Now I have some tasks for your good self to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety.

Note: The below is fairly generic and what I post to all I assist formatted to suit...my friendly advice would be when able have your Son read etc.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Reset SR Points/Clean up with OTL:

• Right-click OTL and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the codebox to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
:Commands
[ClearAllRestorePoints]
  • Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the cyan bar) and choose Paste.
  • Then click the red Run Fix button.
  • Let the program run unhindered. When finished click on OK and close the log that appears.
  • Note: I do not need to review the log produced.
  • Now close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
  • On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
The above process will flush old System Restore points and create a new clean one. It should also clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan at least once per week.

Other installed security software:

The presently installed security application, AVG10 automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also at least once per week.

Erunt:

Emergency Recovery Utility NT, I advice you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Windows Update.
  • In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
  • After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
  • Click to select the check box for any found, then click Install.
  • When completed Reboot(restart) your computer if not prompted to do so.
Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
Never open emails from unknown senders.
Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice is avoid these types of software applications.

Hosts File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

Install WinPatrol:

WinPatrol alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.