Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make a boot disk question

• Please log in to reply

bkp

bkp

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have a laptop that has windows xp on it. However I need a boot disk for it. I have a new laptop with windows 7. How do I make a boot disk for that with my new laptop? Is there a site to burn the file to a disk? Please any help would be great.

BKP

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
What do you mean by a boot disk? XP boots by itself.

bkp

bkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
sorry....i have a laptop that has xp on it. It is in need of a boot disk. However I never made on. I do have a newer laptop but it has windows 7 on it. I was wondering how to get a boot disk or if there is a website to download it and burn it to a disk with my new laptop.

BKP

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I still don't know what you mean by a boot disk. Are you talking about a recovery disk instead...a disk that restores the operating system to factory conditions. A Windows setup disk? Please tell me what this disk is supposed to do. Are you talking about a floppy disk? A CD disk?

bkp

bkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes a recovery disk i have a comp that says file missing windows\system32\config\system....but never made a cd....now i need one and dont know how to make a cd.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Download ARCDC. It will make a disk that lets you access the recovery console. Then follow the steps here: http://support.micro....com/kb/307545.

You can try just replacing the system hive first instead of all of them. I also suggest you run a chkdsk /r while in the recovery console.

I'll get back to you on what a recovery disk is.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
OK, a recovery disk usually ships with new computers made my OEM manufacturers. These days, many are passing the cost of the disks on to the consumer by including a utility in Windows to make the disks. You supply the disk. They supply the software to make them. Kind a crappy deal if you ask me.

Now, the time to make these disks is when your first get your computer. Not when it breaks down.