Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to optimise my new GFX card for my Processor

• Please log in to reply

Platinum Ashes

Platinum Ashes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone

So I'm a gamer, and I have a mediocre gaming computer.
It's a pre-build by Medion and uses an AMD Anthalon II X4 quad core with 3.0GHz and 4GB RAM and an AMD Radeon 6450 with 512 MB GFX RAM.

So I was thinking of upgrading my Video card for higher in-game preformance (I condered jumping to the 6850- or 700, but I don't know how far I can upgrade my Video Card without having to upgrade my processor too to use the gained GFX memory.

E.G: is it still usefull to have 2GB of GFX RAM when you only have 4GB or processing RAM.

I hope this sounded somewhat understandeble to you and I would be very gratefull for any possible advice you could provide me with as I'm very unfamiliar with the basic concept of propper PC builds

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts
Hi Platinum Ashes :)

but I don't know how far I can upgrade my Video Card without having to upgrade my processor too to use the gained GFX memory.

Making sure that your PSU is capable of powering the system including the new add on card is more important, a good video card will compliment the CPU and vice versa,

E.G: is it still usefull to have 2GB of GFX RAM when you only have 4GB or processing RAM.

2GB is not necessary unless you plan on running a screen bigger than 30" or multiple monitors.
Provide us with a budget to work to and the brand and output of your PSU (power supply unit).

Platinum Ashes

Platinum Ashes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replying.

2G is obviously too much, thanks for pointing that out to me. Currently I'm doubting between a 1.5- or 1G. I'm gonna need to replace my power supply anyway since my current barely supports the grahpics card I'm using right now, let alone any new one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts

Thanks for replying.

2G is obviously too much, thanks for pointing that out to me. Currently I'm doubting between a 1.5- or 1G. I'm gonna need to replace my power supply anyway since my current barely supports the grahpics card I'm using right now, let alone any new one.

You are welcome :)
1GB is adequate but if you provide us with a combined budget for both the card and the PSU we can do some research, if there is a 1.5GB out there that has benefits over a 1GB and the price is competitive you could at least consider it.