Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

bengaluru

bengaluru

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello everyone

I have a DELL Studio XPS - i7 core processor, 8GB RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

For the last week or so, my system does not start and every time I had to run a system restore (by pressing F8 repeatedly). Now I have run out of system restore dates as well because using all the dates one after another has not solved my problem. I disabled the automatic download and install of Microsoft updates, because I thought this might be causing the problem. I do not shut off the machine, but the machine restarts on its own and starts installing the Microsoft updates and then does not boot properly.

What do I do ? Any help ?

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Microsoft generally can help solve your issues. Check this site: http://windows.micro...start-correctly and see if you can establish the cause of the problem. If you encounter any difficulties or it doesn't work, post back here. Good Luck! Posted Image

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks. I have tried but it does not work. There is no other system restore dates that I can use now because the machine restarts again. I have now disabled the automatic start and now what I see is a blue screen.

Your help is much appreciated.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
So to be clear, nothing boots up anymore, you just turn on the computer and it is a blue screen? Or can you still boot into some sort of Windows program, like Windows itself or Startup repair?

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
When I start the machine, the DELL logo comes up and then the Windows starts, but before I get my background desktop, I get a multicolour blurry screen and then it restarts again in a loop.

I tried hitting F8 repeatedly and got the repair options and started the system 5-6 times using the different system restore dates, now even that does not work for the last 2 dates - there are no new system restore dates that I can use.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Could you please follow the guide HERE to disable automatic restart from the Advanced Boot Options Menu. Note that this will most likely result in Bluescreen's on your laptop, but in this case it is a good thing as it helps us diagnose the problem.