Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access denied repairing corrupt file

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

I have a computer that will not boot. XP Home. Has message system32\drivers\ntfs.sys missing or corrupt. I have tried to copy file from XP cd in recovery console using copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers I get a message access denied. If I used dos and try to access i386 from from cd I get access denied. It is a hidden system file. I am not the best with dos commands.

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Reddoug
Do you have a valid XP CD?If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Computer will not boot up so I am unable to access start and run unless I am missing something. I can only access recovery console from XP installation disk.

Doug

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi

Computer will not boot up so I am unable to access start and run unless I am missing something. I can only access recovery console from XP installation disk.

Doug

Try booting into Safe Mode (tap the F8 key when attempting to boot up) and run SFC from there.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
HI

Will not boot into safe mode.

Doug

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

I ended up backing up files with Puppy Linux and reinstall OS.

Thanks, Doug

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Reddoug
Glad to hear that you got it sorted, thanks for the update and for posting the solution so that it may help others in the future :)